cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

multiple design versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
I am looking for a good way to create multiple design versions of a project in ArchiCAD. On almost every project I have multiple design versions while I am in schematic design and design development. I'd like to find a good way to manage these multiple design versions in ArchiCAD.

One way is to create multiple PLNs for each version by using the SAVE AS feature each time I start down a new design path. This can get pretty bulky and hard to manage as the option tree branches out. This gets really difficult to manage when I am working on multiple projects over a period of months and years which is more often the case than not.

I'd like to know how other people are managing multiple design versions of projects.

Many thanks for sharing your ideas and input.
Aloha,
John
16 REPLIES 16
Eduardo Rolon
The naming scheme I use:

xxx R001x

Where:
xxx= project name and phase i.e. BRP - CDs, BRP - Schematic, BRP - DD, BRP - CAdmin

R001x = Revision Number, x is a variation of that revision.

-----

My files then are named

BRP - AB R001 = BRP as built drawings revision 01

BRP - DD R100 = first design development for project BRP

BRP - DD R101a = first alternative to Revision 1 of development drawings.

-----

Hope this makes sense.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no single best way. It depends on the project.

I have used the multiple file approach as well as linked multiple files. This approach is generally best in early phases.

You can also use Teamwork and create multiple drafts from the same shared file (I haven't tried this yet in 13 or 14 but imagine it should still work. This is useful for significant alterations of largely settled designs and is good in the design development phase.

For minor alternates I usually use layers. This is really for very limited scope alternates though, like two roof options for the side porch. Anything even remotely complex can quickly turn this into a major pain.

For the first two methods the only way I know to keep track of the alternates and changes is with notes. On a Mac these can be put into the "Spotlight Comments" field in the Finder which allows you see the comments in list view.

I'm not sure that this aspect of design practice can really be highly automated. The parameters are tremendously complex.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
There is no single best way. It depends on the project.

I have used the multiple file approach as well as linked multiple files. This approach is generally best in early phases.

You can also use Teamwork and create multiple drafts from the same shared file (I haven't tried this yet in 13 or 14 but imagine it should still work. This is useful for significant alterations of largely settled designs and is good in the design development phase.

For minor alternates I usually use layers. This is really for very limited scope alternates though, like two roof options for the side porch. Anything even remotely complex can quickly turn this into a major pain.

For the first two methods the only way I know to keep track of the alternates and changes is with notes. On a Mac these can be put into the "Spotlight Comments" field in the Finder which allows you see the comments in list view.

I'm not sure that this aspect of design practice can really be highly automated. The parameters are tremendously complex.
Aloha Matthew,
I am intrigued by the Teamwork idea using drafts. How can I learn more about this option?
BTW I completely agree about no using the custom layer option. I have spent a lot of time trying to unravel that mess.
Aloha,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
johncassel wrote:
I am intrigued by the Teamwork idea using drafts. How can I learn more about this option?
I believe it has been discussed here before so a search might turn up something useful. It's been a while since I've done it so I don't recall all the details.

There are limitations though (of course).

Extensive alternates (as I recall) can be done by making multiple copies of a single draft sign-in (typically with exclusive access). These can each be worked and published independently. The main limitation is you can't send the changes until one of the alternates is selected. Once selected and sent the others can be saved as PLNs for future reference using copy/paste or saved modules if any of the work needs to be brought back at a later date. I'm not sure that this approach offers much more than the multiple PLN method.

A more compelling use is to apply this same approach to various parts of the project when distinct areas are subject to variations which will be recombined in the shared model once approved. In this method you create multiple sign-ins (one for each distinct area) and then use the same multiple draft copies to develop the alternates. The advantage of this is that you can easily combine, for example, alternates A3, B1, C4, D3, etc. into the same master file.

I have spent no time thinking about how this might be different in TW2.

In any case it is always advisable to take good notes so you can remember what's what.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
This method simply does not work in TW2, so don't get too used to it.

I would recommend using multiple projects for each option and moduling them into one master file. It's easy enough to relink to them required option at any time.

And if you hotlink published MOD files (instead of hotlinking the whole project), you have the ability to filter out any unwanted data by hiding it in your published layer combos.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TW2

Look at the AC Collaboration Guide Part 2, Chapter 7, step 5. the title of this section is, drum roll ...
Version Management with Mark-Up. It specifically addresses following multiple ongoing versions in the same model.
And, "compare several design proposals to each other", nice after dinner treat, huh?

Just another tool in the arsenal.

Snap
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
snapcrackle wrote:
TW2

Look at the AC Collaboration Guide Part 2, Chapter 7, step 5. the title of this section is, drum roll ...
Version Management with Mark-Up. It specifically addresses following multiple ongoing versions in the same model.
And, "compare several design proposals to each other", nice after dinner treat, huh?

Just another tool in the arsenal.

Snap
And we know how well that's working out...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sheesh. Ugly. Oops.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where can I find a copy of the AC Collaboration Guide? What is wrong with it?