Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

publishing to a dwg and changing font.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a pln file that we need to publish to a dwg. We need to change our font we use in archihcad to autocad's ar2.shx file. For the life of us we can't get it to work. The conversion file we used made a font style called ar2.shx but it didn't change the text to that file. It looks like we'll have to change each & everyone text individually. Is there an easier way.. Please help!!! We needed done last week!!!!

Thanks
Michele
6 REPLIES 6
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Michele,
The reason you are not getting the right shx font is because you need to have a DWG template file containing, firstly the "STYLE" name and the shx font connected to the style. You a quiet correct, the style name will be right, in your case ar2.shx, but as you don't have, I'm assuming, a template file that you can point to ArchiCAD doesn't know what to translate it to, thats why you are getting the same font in AutoCAD as you have in ArchiCAD.

So what you need to do is to create, or ask for, a DWG counting the right "STYLE" name and the correct '.SHX shape connect to it. You can then, in the translator setup in ArchiCAD, go to the "Font-Style conversion" part of the translator and convert your ArchiCAD font to an AutoCAD "STYLE".

E.G Arial---->ar2.shx

There you have it! Clear as mud hey?

HTH.
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm really interested in this discussion since I think it relates to one of my worst trouble... exporting from ArchiCAD/Plotmaker (9) to DWG.

I have to convert each text in AutoCAD to the appropriate font after exporting it. A nightmare.

Even when I tell the translator that "Arial Occidental" should be translated to "Arial" in AutoCAD, it just creates a STYLE in the DWG named "Arial" that ponits to an (inexistent) "Arial Occidental" font.

How do I workaround this? What I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestion would be welcome...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
You can then, in the translator setup in ArchiCAD, go to the "Font-Style conversion" part of the translator and convert your ArchiCAD font to an AutoCAD "STYLE".
Not working. When I tell ArchiCAD that "Arial Western" in ArchiCAD equates to "Arial" in AutoCAD, it doesn't work -- it still just sets the text to the "Standard" style with "txt.shx" as the font. What's missing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Jay

As Say Ben you need absolutely too things for a good font conversion :
1— a dwg template where are defined the font style
2— a translator setup well defined in ArchiCAD

I try it and it works.
François Favier is the French site of Abvent doing a model of this that perfectly works Vous avez demandé la police with some corrections here

Sorry it is in french

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Frédéric.

I think I have finally figured it out -- when you specify a DWG as a template, everything in that drawing is included in the new DWG, then the ArchiCAD geometry and annotation is translated. I found out the hard way that this means the template DWG must be as clean as possible -- no extraneous geometry, text styles, dim styles, etc. I started with the acad.dwt template and defined exactly what I needed.

It seems to work well, but I have a few other translator wishes that I'll put in the Wish categories.
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
Ben wrote:
You can then, in the translator setup in ArchiCAD, go to the "Font-Style conversion" part of the translator and convert your ArchiCAD font to an AutoCAD "STYLE".
Not working. When I tell ArchiCAD that "Arial Western" in ArchiCAD equates to "Arial" in AutoCAD, it doesn't work -- it still just sets the text to the "Standard" style with "txt.shx" as the font. What's missing?
Standard style in your template DWG should be defined with Arial, not txt.shx
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen