cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

rounded roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I'm working on a project with straw roof with rounded edges.
The picture is not of the project just to show what I mean.
How could i recreate this type of roof (without the top part) in Archicad??

architectural_heritage17_croppedsmall.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
The typical approaches would be to use complex profiles, meshes and/or Objective by Ralph Wessel (if you have it or can afford to buy it).

Profiled walls would be limited to a single profile or else you will have trouble at the junctions.

The mesh tool would work by modeling the roof as if it were terrain then making a copy and dragging it down by the roof's thickness to use as operator to subtract the inside.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I actually tried to simulate this earlier this morning and could not find a way to not have junction problems....

Mesh may be easier.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Dwight
Newcomer
Grass Hut 101:

Create a free-flowing [no corners] path at the roof perimeter.
Magic Wand a Complex Profile to form a partial roof at the perimeter.

Create a second smaller free-flowing complex profile to cap the partial roof.

Add SEO element: a tilted column to cut scallops from the upper., smaller roof.

Add SEO element at top of roof to trim odd intersections.

If any bits of the low roof project through the upper roof, use SEO to trim.

Close enough?
grass hut comp.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Nice!

Rather than CUTTING the top (scallop)... I might suggest the same PROFILED cap... but INTERSECT with a simple slab in the shape of the scallop...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Dwight
Newcomer
Wouldn't that get you vertical scallop cuts? I use the tilted column to match the roof slope -- see the original example photo.
Dwight Atkinson
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Normally, yes, but we can add a custom ANGLE to the edges.. admittedly (now that I think about) probably more difficult than the column idea...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Dwight
Newcomer
Thank you for reminding me of that feature. I used it yesterday on a round slab. It would only apply to one side at a time [between nodes], so it would be work to apply it to many circular thingies.
Dwight Atkinson
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Dwight wrote:
It would only apply to one side at a time [between nodes], so it would be work to apply it to many circular thingies.
At the top of the Slab Edge dialog box is the Apply on: pop up which gives 3 options: Clicked Edge, Selected Polygon, or All Edges. This method may not be the best in this case, but may help someone in a different circumstance.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14