Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

shadows from elements above cutting plane?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

New to archicad and I would like to render a sun study of a floor plan. I have been using the 3D Cutting Plane to clip the roof from the building to get a look inside from above. Unfortunately this means that the shadows in the PhotoRender Projection are cast as if the building has an open top. The intention of the sun study is to see the penetration of sunlight given the roof overhangs, in a plan view.

See image - the roof is above the cut plane but doesn't cast a shadow

Thanks for any suggestions...

sun_study.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran into the same problem last year when I was trying to determine the best eave dimension for sun shading. I was unable to get a cutaway plan to work but found that I could use 3D views as elevations.

In the 3D window go to the View Menu/3D View Mode/3D Projection Settings… If the window says Perspective Settings click the Parallel Projections button then click the house button (Isometric Axonometry by default) and choose Side View.

(alternately you can use the 3D Visulization Toolbar choose Axonometry then Look to Perpendicular and click on the face to study)

Make sure transparency is turned off in the view.

You can then run a Sun Study on the elevation. It doesn't tell you where the sun falls on the floor inside but you can look at the shading you are getting on your glazing.

It's not a very effective tool for client visualition, but it gives you a good sense of the system performance.

Please post back if you find a way to get the cutaway to show what you want. It would be extremely useful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your response, I'll keep looking.

Tony
owen
Newcomer
Yes we should have the ability to generate shadows off the full model prior to removing the elements we don't want purely for visualisation purposes. Useful for all sorts of views i would think.

Surprised no-one has wished for this before .. cast your vote here
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
dunno how to get that in ac.
this may not be direct answer to your question, but if stepping up in rendering engines, next step- artlantis- gives such possibility.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Another technique similar to Alex' is to cast shadows in a section through the building using either the section/elevation tool or the marquee.

When using the marquee, you can rotate the model to see more of how the exterior light penetrates the building. Still not the full birds-eye view though.

No comments about the house, just a test file for AC 10.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
owen
Newcomer
That image perfectly illustrates what we are getting at - i.e the incorrect shadow being cast by the cut wall onto the floor. In reality that shadow would not exist. We want the ability for shadows to be cast by an uncut model and then cut the elements away to see the resultant shadows internally.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Erika Epstein
Booster
I understand that Owen, I was just trying to demonstrate [another] workaround that addresses what you are trying to show your clients.
Life isn't perfect.
Neither is Archicad.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
owen
Newcomer
Sorry i guess that came out the wrong way - no implication intended that you had misunderstood the problem
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Erika Epstein
Booster
Not a problem,
Why don't you post a wish?
Erika
Architect, Consultant