Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

slab showing as dashed line one story down--why?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using the slab tool to model the floors of my current project. The floor outline shows as a solid line on the home story and a dashed line one story down. I want to show it as a solid line on both stories but I cannot find the controls for the line type for one story down. Please tell me where I can find the control for the line type for the slab when shown one story down.
Thank you,
John
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
John

Check out Options> Project Preferences, Construction Elements "Below home storey" (as below). Be aware that this is a global setting that will effect all overhead items.
Picture 3.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha Stuart,
Thank you for replying so quickly and accurately. I had forgotten about the global setting. You nailed it.
The problem for me with the global setting is that I want a different setting for roofs and slabs. Right now my work around is just to draw the solid lines for the slabs on the story below.
Thank you,
John
rob2218
Enthusiast
I tend to do the same thing as a work around. I'll simply "magic wand" the slabs on the above stories right out of the "trace" view. Basically, as I see the lines/plines that I need created, I'll initiate the pline command, magic wand the slab in question that I want to view in the story above as a solid line, and edit the pline as need be to represent what I need.

I know, it's a pain in the arse but.....controlling how a particular slab looks in floors above and below as you need them to look with global settings can be dangerous.

if anyone has any other option available, please post.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems like something we should ask Graphisoft to fix.
rob2218
Enthusiast
yeah..I know. I'm sure Graphisoft has their plate full these days with over 1M users wanting "their ideas" to be implemented onto the next release but yes, I agree...it's something that needs to be in the coding of the program.

Just like showing objects which reside "under" other objects in hidden line.

For example, roofs with overhangs and building elements "below" the overhangs.... Many times, we (designers and architects who work in the trenches all day with the graphic language and feel we have a pretty good handle on how 'graphics' should look) would like to be able to see in a hidden line form the part of a slab, wall, an object let's say, that is actually 'under' the overhang of a building. Meaning, that the simple ability to be able to break up an objects 2d visibility into multiple line displays, like for example, solid light line for a slab that is outside the overhang edge, while at the same time showing a 2d thinner light line in hidden linetype while all the while using the same 3d object............clear as mud eh.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha Rob,
Part 1) That is just the kind of thing that I expect from "advanced" architectural drafting/modeling software. I think that each and every tool should have the ability control what story elements show up on and how they appear. The software has some controls in this direction but for some reason it is not uniform throughout all of the design tools.

Part 2) I do not see the number of users as a reason not to fix, correct or improve the features of the software. Actually, just the opposite. I feel that the number of users and the revenue generated from new sales and license renewals as plenty of reason and capital to improve and fix the software.
Think about what you pay in license renewal fees and multiply that by the number of users. (You mentioned over 1 million). It seems like this would be reason and capital enough to improve the software--especially in response to user's requests for improvements and fixes.
Part 2b) I would appreciate it if Graphisoft let us know what their position, ideas and responses are to user requests for features, fixes and improvements. Just open the communication channels so the users know what is being worked on. That would go a long toward making me feel better about paying an annual renewal fee.
Right now I feel like these discussions are a bit like Waiting for Godot.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I just tried working with controlling element display by story settings
(Virtual Building : ArchiCAD Model Views : How to Display Individual Elements on the Floor Plan : Control Element Display by Story (Show On Stories)).

In my opinion these controls are complex and ineffective. I feel that they do not work to use these controls to create properly delineated drafting from the model for a simple hillside renovation that I am currently working on.

I'm sure that in a precise, controlled environment that these controls can give some limited success in creating basic drafting from a basic model of a straightforward building such as an office building on a flat lot.

I worked on the modeled elements with the controls in each tool's setting. I have also adjusted the Model View Options and Construction Element Preference settings as well. So far I have hit major roadblocks on producing proper drafting directly from the model this simple project.

My work around is to just draft the elements with the trace showing (which is a great help).

So far these Floor Plan Display settings (Show on Stories) are not working sufficiently for many of the elements in this project. Until they do I have an awkward, overly complex CAD drafting program that does offer some limited efficiencies in generating some drafting elements from the model but certainly not a fully functional product that automatically develops drafting pages from a model.

Too bad, because that would be very useful in my small firm. That would be a very effective tool in allowing me to design while the software did most of the drafting.

I'd like to know how much of this has been improved and resolved in later versions and if Graphisoft has a goal or schedule to make this work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
How can I fix this problem in Archicad 18?? and cant find that menu in this version.
Barry Kelly
Georgestrat wrote:
How can I fix this problem in Archicad 18?? and cant find that menu in this version.
Off the top of my head try Project Preferences > Legacy.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11