Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

slabs, beams, walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a question about what is the right way to build our BIM model. Do I need to overlap the beams with slabs and walls:are they needed /especially when they are insulated/ to reach the top of the slabs or simply stop to the lower point of the beam. Please share your experience about your ways.
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's hard to tell from your image what you're doing here. I'm assuming a section view with a beam in it.

Build your model as close as you can to the way the actual building will be built. If the wall of the building extends to the bottom of the slab, build the wall that way. If a beam is in the slab, build the model that way. If a beam penetrates a wall, build the model that way etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
inpro,

I agree, begin with the intent to draw it like it will be built. Modify and adjust only as the current limitations of AC dictate.

How far does the beam bear into the wall? Make sure the walls have the correct composition and sufficient bearing distance for the beam bearing specification. Then set the beam into the wall to the correct composite depth and the correct top of beam elevation to support the roof/floor above.

If you are just beginning the process of Modeling:
Look at this video by Eric Bobrow, http://www.archicadtemplate.com/video-tips/trace2d/

HTH,
Snap