Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

transferring/selling Archicad licenses?

Anonymous
Not applicable
our company has down-sized and we have 3 spare archicad 15 disks/dongles with licenses which we would like to sell off.

we have spoke to graphisoft recently, who told us "if you sell the licenses, then whoever buys them will not be able to get support or upgrade services on those licenses".

however, this conflicts with this quote:

"
You may permanently transfer the Software and all rights associated to it under this license to another party together with a copy ot this Agreement, provided that the other party reads and accepts the terms and conditions of this Agreement, that you do not keep any copies of the Software in whole or in part and the transferee agrees to be bound by the terms of this Agreement and that you notify Graphisoft of the transfer in writing. Such a transfer terminates your licence. "

the above quote is from this link:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/ifc/downloads/beta/

i have also spoken to two different graphisoft dealers who dont know the situation. why is there so much confusion and conflicting info on this, why cant graphisoft sort this out - they must realise there needs to be some flexibility when they are selling licenses at £3 - 4k each????

i was planning on listing them for sale on ebay but dont know whether or not to say in the advert that they would not have any future upgradibility.
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
This situation has always been a frustrating one, and neither GS nor the resellers (in general) have ever been willing to post a black and white, in-writing statement. Over the years, the license transfer fees have changed, with NEVER a notification to we users, which I think is quite wrong.

Further complicating things is that the actual license is from Graphisoft R&D, creators of the product, but the transfer fee varies by country and reseller... and the purchaser pays a fee based on their location, and apparently the whims of their reseller - vs a standard, global fee.

I think Graphisoft has put off discussing this issue for too many years and really needs to clarify things for everyone.

(The last I heard - here somewhere - the fee was about $2,000 for a US transfer ... which was a huge hit to the value of everyone's license since the previous fee was $475. For those companies that keep the value of the license on their balance sheet as resale value, they need to know what fees Graphisoft would charge in order to know the true value of their assets.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would go with what GS asked you to do and not a dealer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
well they're worth peanuts selling them on ebay, maybe people have twigged how un-commercial graphisoft have become.

its highly unlikely i'd ever buy any more licenses of archicad in the future, or recommend any companies move to archicad (as I have in the past)

its such a shame because a great package has become bogged down by the un-commercial view of the manufacturer, the programs memory use has become increasingly more inefficient, and the ongoing bugs in the software which have never been resolved in 10 years are really taking the biscuit (viewports regenerating time after time, come on!)

a few of my colleagues who have been massive advocates of archicad for 15 years are also moving away from it because of the above issues....
Anonymous
Not applicable
percybigun wrote:
well they're worth peanuts selling them on ebay, maybe people have twigged how un-commercial graphisoft have become.

its highly unlikely i'd ever buy any more licenses of archicad in the future, or recommend any companies move to archicad (as I have in the past)
I'm guessing you havent read the AutoDesk Revit license transfer clause..how about not at all from individuals and only if a company has gone into liquidation of ceased trading...
Jere
Expert
I have inquired about this with the Canadian reseller as I may be offering to purchase a key from someone.

They've stated that the transfer fee is $2095CAD (paid by either buyer or seller), however, that fee would be waived in its entirety by Graphisoft provided the key was upgraded to the current version (AC16) if it isn't already and that the buyer (me in this case) purchases a subscription. A copy of a letter proving the sale is required.

That's not bad at all. Essentially just have to pay the subscription fee and whatever I negotiate with the seller.
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jere wrote:
I have inquired about this with the Canadian reseller as I may be offering to purchase a key from someone.

They've stated that the transfer fee is $2095CAD (paid by either buyer or seller), however, that fee would be waived in its entirety by Graphisoft provided the key was upgraded to the current version (AC16) if it isn't already and that the buyer (me in this case) purchases a subscription. A copy of a letter proving the sale is required.

That's not bad at all. Essentially just have to pay the subscription fee and whatever I negotiate with the seller.
I am interested in buying, if they are still available
please call me
mercedes - 416-887-3031