Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad is automatically creating .pln file numbered copies

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast

For some reason AC26 is automatically creating new numbered copies of .pln files without my consent or action.

While working on a particular project file, I suddenly see other files are being created without my saving them out. For example, I could be working on Building A.pln file, and in that folder, Building A 3.pln is suddenly appearing (an exact copy of the file I am working on). Almost like it is making backup .pln files instead of (and addition to) .bnp files. Very weird. Is anyone else is experiencing this? Is there some setting that has been changed that I don't know about? Screenshot attached showing a portion of my folder containing the duplicate copies being created. 

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 12.09.21 AM.png
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

It is not recommended because of problems like this.

The problem is if you save a file while it is trying to sync to the cloud, Archicad can't access the file so creates a new one.

If you can, delay the syncing to a time when you are not using the file or set it to manually sync so you can control when it happens.

I save to a separate non-synced folder and then transfer the file to the sync folder when I want it to sync.

I don't work live in the sync folder.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

Are you saving to a cloud share folder by any chance?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yes I am Barry. iCloud
I work and save to a synced shared iCloud folder every day. Never had this issue before. Doesn't everyone save to cloud folders these days? 

AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

Solution

It is not recommended because of problems like this.

The problem is if you save a file while it is trying to sync to the cloud, Archicad can't access the file so creates a new one.

If you can, delay the syncing to a time when you are not using the file or set it to manually sync so you can control when it happens.

I save to a separate non-synced folder and then transfer the file to the sync folder when I want it to sync.

I don't work live in the sync folder.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast

Thanks Barry. I appreciate your help and insight. TBH I am literally stunned to learn this now after 6+ years of working in Archicad (and never having encountered this before).

Is this a problem when working in BIMCloud also? How can it be that it never happened before and is suddenly happening now? Something new in AC26? Also, isn't the .lck supposed to prevent this? 

Sorry if I am asking redundant questions. I guess I will have to find a way around this or adjust my workflow as you suggest. 

AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

I find generally it works quite well except when you save and then immediately save again.

The first save the file changes (.pln and .bak) and the cloud sync starts.

Then you save again while the sync is in progress creating new .pln & .bak files, and that can cause issues.

Some cloud systems work better than others it seems from posts made here in the past.

I think some will stop the sync if it detects the file is changing again, and then recommence the sync afterwards.

BIMCloud is its own system designed to work with Archicad.

The .lck file is just a file to tell other users the file is open and in use.

It won't prevent a cloud service from syncing the .pln file - it will just sync that and the .lck file as well.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27