2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Rhino plug-in for mesh - limitation

Patrick M
Advisor

In recent tests, we (Vincent) was using Rhino+Grasshopper to simplify and unify DWG contours, elevated in Rhino, then run through Grasshopper again to get a mesh into Archicad. 

We are seeing a major limitation to the Grasshopper plug-in: that only points can be plugged into the mesh script; what we really need is "user defined ridges" as an option. 

Anyone have a work-around to get real contours onto a mesh with Rhino? Any GS developers have any influence on expanding this part of the GH plug-in to allow for more usable/versatile/flexible mesh development?

I'll add that Vincent Todosiev (not myself) has been putting in a lot of leg work to figure out this workflow, so I hope he'll be able to chime in here to give more details on what he's done. These are just screen shots I snapped from our last meeting.

GH Script.png

Results in AC.png

Rhino to GH.png

   

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
15 REPLIES 15
stoneunturned
Enthusiast

I find it odd that we cant magic wand all the contours at once and let some good programming add them to our mesh in a successful sequence. One at a time? lord

So far sticking with:

-2D contours for plans (from surveyor)

-a high-ish poly textXYZ import (145k) for the sun study (from GIS or other into Rhino +GH)

-and an accurate ACmesh made from the surveyors contours for rolling max build height, earthworks considerations etc

Should be a one stop solution, but i think GS are getting closer.

Have played with converting linework(with z) to morph - morph lines are visible in 3d, but do not cast or receive shadows.

Win11 AC26 7004 NZE FULL
Dell G15 Laptop: i7-12700h, RTX 3060, 64GB DDR5
Thunderbolt 4 to 2 screens, HDMI to a 3rd screen. Laptop lid remains closed.
3dconnexion mouse and keyboard
ThaboM_COA
Contributor

Use Morph to generate contour lines its the only work around i found for it to work. 

Patrick M
Advisor

yes, I've done that too. Just a very manual extra step for what should be a semi-automated workflow

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Agreed.

for clarity, have you tried exporting the mesh from Rh as a point file (.txt with correct options) and importing with AC’s ‘import survey into mesh’ tool?

I haven’t used the plugin yet. Just the YouTube tutorial by frank hu on ‘how to transform contours into a rhino surface’ (covers high and low poly) and the successful export/import process mentioned above. Managed to get a mesh in from cold in an hour

It yielded a ~150k poly mesh which slows down even my relatively grunty machine, but was created with a rapid work flow.

Win11 AC26 7004 NZE FULL
Dell G15 Laptop: i7-12700h, RTX 3060, 64GB DDR5
Thunderbolt 4 to 2 screens, HDMI to a 3rd screen. Laptop lid remains closed.
3dconnexion mouse and keyboard

I don't know about you guys, but in residential I find the user defined ridges to be helpful not just for benching a house pad, but representing heights in a vectorial/sketch render. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.  

Our surveys can be large, but typically they're small, so less point data and harder to make assumptions. So, we rely heavily on Contours more so than survey points. 

Pato99_0-1716772482913.png

Pato99_1-1716772783388.png

Given that the poly lines do have heights, I don't see why this couldn't be defined.

Pato99_2-1716773358676.png

Probably get the award for the worst workaround idea, but if you need the lines represented in 3D, maybe you could split the mesh in GH using the contours and import as multiple meshes. :S 

I've posted a Wish for this thread. Let me know if I should change anything in the description.  
User Defined Ridges on Mesh for Grasshopper defini... - Graphisoft Community

Versions 10 to forced subscription
Metabox Prime-X P775DM2-G (Clevo),
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM - G-Sync,
i7-6700K (8M Cache up to 4.2 GHz),
32GB DDR4 2133MHZ,
512GB SATA 3 M.2 SSD,
Win 11 64
Ancha
Booster

Totaly agree that there should be improvements in the mesh tool and the contour creations - management. Since you have a dwg file with the countours, the process should be a matter of 5 clicks. I also would like to see the option to display different contours on the mesh (between 1m or 0.5m etc). 

Setup info provided by author