Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Calculation: Surface Area of the Wall Outside Face (Net)

ISA2428
Booster

I want to create a schedule that picks up the Net Surface Area of the Outside Face of a wall. The problem I'm having is the area calculation works for a single skin wall however as soon as the composite has 2 or more skins the calculation considers each skin as another wall. For example, a 2m x 3m wall with 4 skins is showing as 24sqm instead of 6sqm. I've attached a demonstration. Has anyone else had this issue? Or have I selected the wrong thing somewhere? 

AREAS-Plan set up.png

AREAS-Schedule set up.png

  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I am not sure exactly why this would make a difference, but it is because you have made a 'component' schedule.

That will be looking for the pieces (or skins) of the wall - the components (but I don't understand how having no layer in the criteria makes a difference).

Do the same with an 'element' schedule, and it will look at the entire wall as one element.

You can then use the layers in the criteria - but remember to group them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

I am not seeing this, no matter if I try an element, component or surface schedule.

But your 3 layers need to be encased in brackets, as the criteria makes no sense as you currently have it.

You need that group of layers to act a one criteria.

(layer 1 OR layer 2 OR layer 3)

Otherwise make sure you do not accidentally have 3 walls in the same position and your schedule is set to 'Merge Items'.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
ISA2428
Booster

The result of the 24sqm vs the correct 6sqm is to do with the Layer criteria. When I delete Layer it solves it. 

I'll play with some other options and see if it makes any difference. I'm sure there is a logical reason for the Layer Criteria to be affecting the result.

Calc-no layer.png

Calc-with Layer.png

ISA2428
Booster

By the way, thanks for responding! It prompted me to try something different.

Solution

I am not sure exactly why this would make a difference, but it is because you have made a 'component' schedule.

That will be looking for the pieces (or skins) of the wall - the components (but I don't understand how having no layer in the criteria makes a difference).

Do the same with an 'element' schedule, and it will look at the entire wall as one element.

You can then use the layers in the criteria - but remember to group them.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
ISA2428
Booster

I realised earlier this arvo it was because the schedule had been duplicated from a component. As soon as I set it up in the element one I was sweet! I should've spotted that before 😬. Thanks for following up!