BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Conversion to 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've spent alot of time creating various things specific to the types of projects we do including:

Wall composite types
Library parts
Fills
Materials
Interactive Schedules
Pens sets for various drawing types (plans elevations)

Will these have to be redone if we switch to 10

What about projects that we are half way though can we open them in 10 and use the libraries from 9?
23 REPLIES 23
tsturm
Newcomer
We are in the process of making the change like many others.

The topic of library parts has come up in the development of this conversation. We are experiencing some early issues with the library parts. Mostly due to naming conventions used by Graphisoft. We are changing our standard details to the 10 format. The area we know we are going to have problems with is the library parts which were taken from the AC 9 library. Since the symbol is in 10 just with a different name, how should we go about making the conversion from 9 to 10? A swap of the parts could mean the information and setup of the symbol would be changed to the default settings in the process. I have no concern about the symbols we have in our Custom library. There is no naming issues here.

Currently we are not using the AC 10 libraries on the projects which are being converted to AC10.

How are others dealing with updating their standards details during the switching process?
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Chris Phillips
Contributor
Oh hell!
we've been there, done that and got the T shirt. If you have an existing job don't change the libraries used, at all, ever. Otherwise all sorts of s*** hits the fan. Door swings reversing, steel mis-placed or disappearing, trucks and othe 2d objects changing size in an apparently arbitary manner and heaven alone knows whatelse we haven't spotted. And then there is the matter of the pen assignments.
Best of luck, you will need it.

Chris Phillips
TomWaltz
Participant
The only library I change from version to version is the company library. When a new release comes out, I copy the library and name it for the new AC version (CompanyLibrary8, CompanyLibrary9, etc).

Since that has all the section/detail markers, labels, most of the doors & windows, etc, it allows me to fix version- It also lets me add new features to existing objects without damaging older projects.
Tom Waltz
Andy Thomson
Advisor
As Chris says, legacy projects use legacy libraries - no 10 parts. In fact, legacy projects use AC9 - as there is a whole host of issues as people move to mactel machines - I am in the midst of this right now. No saving backwards to 9 from a mactel - so once in 10 - everyone working on that project must shift to 10, and LBK issues (which I am not experiencing, yet).

However, new projects use the AC10.lcf, CompanyLibrary10, and a project-specific library. I am trying to move away from subsets and older libraries, with the vain hope that the GUIDs will be static for a couple more releases!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!