BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Place Point Clouds Bug - USA Version

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

In Version 4013 USA FULL, Story "matching" is not happening properly when importing point clouds. The USA version does not use 0 (zero) Story. The first floor is "1. 1st FLOOR". I believe that this is one of the key differences between North American and European releases of Archicad.

When I click "Import Point Clouds", I select the e57 file, then "Create and Place" the point cloud, and the "Place Point Clouds" dialog comes up, with a Home Story selection box.

As per the attached image, the stories are shown with a ground floor starting at 0 and not at 1 as it should.

This seems to be a bug to me.

I also can't understand why there isn't a layer selection tool here - to place the point cloud on the intended layer.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would add this to the wish list, I think it would be good to be able to assign a layer to it before placing it.
afingret wrote:
I also can't understand why there isn't a layer selection tool here - to place the point cloud on the intended layer.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi afingret,

Thank you for pointing out the issue with the stories not matching. I will report it to our development team. If anyone ever feels they have found a bug in the software please report it to your local reseller, distributor or support office so that they can put it into our internal database. Although I and others from GRAPHISOFT try to keep an eye on posts here, there is not a guarantee we will see them. The primary purpose of this forum is for users to assist other users. But still, thanks for posting here as well. Keep doing that also. We will do our best to get the info from all sources.

BTW - the Point Cloud is considered as an Object, so whatever default layer the Object tool is set to before importing, that is the layer the Point Cloud will come in on.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Ferenc_Traser
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
afingret,

What does your story settings show? If you have 1st and 2nd stories then this is indeed a bug.

I have processed it and reported it to the Developers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks NCornia, I look forward to an eventual software fix.

I understand about the object layer, however it would be more contextually appropriate to select the point cloud layer at the time of placement.

Our company relies heavily on laser scanning, and many point clouds are likely to exist in a single project. It's important that we organize them properly and not inadvertently just dump them on whatever layer happens to be active. This is especially important in order to make effective use of AC templates and view maps.

With that said, this is just one of many wishlist items I have in terms of point cloud features and visualization within Archicad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ferenc,

My Story Settings show:

2. Floor 2
1. Floor 1
-1. Basement

There was a time many years ago when we had an International version of Archicad, so I'm aware of the 0 story as being default in the rest of the world. It created messy teamworking and file sharing issues at the time.

When I saw the 0 story show up during point cloud import, it immediately resonated with me as a bug.

It is a bug, I'm 99% certain.
Ferenc_Traser
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
afingret,

Thanks for letting us know. As I've mentioned below, I have reported it to the Developers and it should be taken care of.
Learn and get certified!