Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Show Zones in Section or Elevation Archicad 25

reidweber
Enthusiast

Hello, I am excited to see that you can now view zones in section and elevations in Archicad 25. This feature prompted me to download this version and transfer from 24.  But when I open a file, I cannot figure out how to display a zone in Section. Is there a toggle I'm missing to display that information?  In the graphisoft overview it went into a lot of detail about the new zone tag but the zones aren't visible in section to tag. 

Floor Plan showing Zones

Screenshot 2021-11-03 105131.png

Section not showing Zones

Screenshot 2021-11-03 105302.png

ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x
41 REPLIES 41

Great pity that the Zone stamp doesn't link directly to a Surface. It means we have to manually link the colour on the floorplan to the surface in section, elevation and 3D

25 ZonesPerpColours3.jpg

Archicad 4.1 to 28 Tech Preview. Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Electric Flute
Booster

So zones in sections/elevations are solid blocks. If I want to see my project I must make a Graphic Override Combination to make them transparent. But I don't always want glass to be transparent.

Half baked solution.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

I think the best solution if you want to keep the glass in windows as solid (not transparent) is to wire frame the zone layer in the elevations as @James Murray suggested and use a Graphic Override to hide the contours.

Or hide the zone layer completely as @reidweber suggested - just be sure to turn off the option in the label to hide with associated elements.

Just when you need to add labels, be sure to change to a layer combination that shows the zones as solid.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, these workarounds do works. But they mess with our layers standards.
I think we have to stand loud that those workaround are not the best practices. Perhaps Graphisoft listen us.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

If you create Surfaces to match the Zone Stamp colour and match these surfaces to each Zone stamp then everything works because these Surface can have transparency without a GO. 

ZonesWithSurfaces.jpg

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

Yes, but this only works with transparency turned on in Section Settings. This option affects all the glasses, and maybe I don`t want them to be also transparent. That is the point.

AC26 > AC5 - Win10

Zones in Section don't have to be solid and glass can be solid if required.

GOs.jpg

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

What settings do you have applied to your zone surfaces to create the transparent zones and opaque glass?

ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x

GOsDetails.jpg

I have a series of Surfaces which match the Zone Category colours. I use them for both the Section and 3D views. These Surfaces are semi transparent and the Sections have transparency on. I have introduced an additional GO rule which changes the Glass Surface to white (to remove the transparency). I use the Zone surfaces as shown because I think its a waste of time to to just show Zones in 3D as Glass especially when creating a Massing Study.

Hope this helps.

you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

I don't have a checkbox under Project Preferences>Legacy to uncheck.  I'm using Archicad 25 3002 USA FULL