BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Protection key problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Wondered if anybody can help ? I run V6.5 of ArchiCad and up until today did so on an eMac on Classic mode with no problems, in fact it still runs there no problem. I have just purchased an iMac G5 and installed (twice now) ArchiCad on it, moved over the protection key BUT it just comes up with "The protection key is not responding" and when I click on that it stops loading. I've tried back and forth between the two computers and can't get any change to this, installed twice, restarted twice, even tried swapping the keyboards over so that the dongle is in exactly the same place but still the same result. Any bright ideas extremely greatfully received.

Cheers

Derek
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
put the dongle in the machine rather than the keyboard, just to see.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
no. wait.
You should look in the forum archive for the solution. I think you need a special WIBU driver for classic mode, or this might not work at all - running 6.5 on a G5 machine.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for the replies, had tried the dongle staight into the back of the machine, no go there either, hope you're wrong about G5, don't see why that should be the case, still runs classic same as any other Mac before the Macintels ?

So, about to try some other things to see if I can cure this, will let you know if I manage it, in the meantime would appreciate anybody elses thoughts.

Cheers

Derek
Anonymous
Not applicable
FOUND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! (ooops sorry for shouting !!!)

OK, for anybody who stikes this problem, not that it's likely as I'm probably the only one back in the dark ages of V6.5, the solution lies in the Extensions file of the OS9 System folder. You should have an extension called "USB Sentinel", I was able to copy it across from my eMac but there was an original copy on my installation disc when I went looking for it.

So, that extension is obviously the "go between" from the computer to the dongle, without it they both know one another are there but they won't talk to oneanother, you know a bit like a mother-in-law !!

Cheers

Derek

PS: One good thing to come out of this was finding this site !!!!!!!!
Djordje
Ace
Derek-NZ wrote:
PS: One good thing to come out of this was finding this site !!!!!!!!
You did not know about Archicad Talk ?!?!!?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Djordje

Nope, sorry I didn't, bad show really as I've been on ArchiCAD since it first arrived in New Zealand with V4, I think I was the first licence in the South Island of New Zealand, if not first certainly one of the very early ones.

Have always run on Mac and have only upgraded as far as V6.5 as it does all I need for my business. The cost of ungrading now to V10 is way too high for my tastes so I've gone to the last iMac G5 tht runs Classic mode for my ArchiCAD. It would be nice to have V10 but at nearly $3,000 just for an upgrade I'm not prepared to do it. I could actually change to Vectorworks (oops is that swearing on here !!) for less than I can upgrade ArchiCAD.

Anyway, great to find this site, I'm sure I'll pick up some good information and tips here.

Cheers

Derek
Djordje
Ace
Hm ...

Smear that upgrade price over the last 7 - or is it 8? - years and you will see what you have missed ... you probably spent more on smokes and beers?

... not to mention depriving yourself of the pleasures of forking out for a Mactel
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!