BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Save error & missing file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a scary issue that I can't seem to find any info about, but I'm sure you all can help me out.

At the end of the day on Friday I logged out of Archicad as usual, but received an unusual error message that said something like "cannot save plan". I assumed a system resource must be busy, so I waited and tried saving & closing again. This time it seemed to work as usual so I didn't give it another thought. Today, however, the .pln file is completely missing AND the .bpn file is missing as well. Please help!

I'm using AC10 on an intel Mac, using the latest build. In fact, this happened just after updating AC.

I seem to remember a problem similar to this that I had with AC8. Files would somehow disappear and would be replaced with a scratch file.

Any help will be appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am saving locally to the hard drive.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I'm still suffering from this bug.. Is this now a dead issue since v11 is out?
Any other help will be appreciated, as we have no immediate plans to upgrade to v11.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, this hasnt been solved in 11.
Well, this problem occurs on our Vista computer.
I am re-installing it now, and I will let you guys know if it helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

We are running v11 on osX 10.4 macs with a PC server running sbs2003. Since upgrading our server package + using archiCAD v10 (they were introduced at the same time) we have had terrible problems saving pln's to folders on our server. 'Cannot save plan file', 'Write permissions error', 'You do not have sufficient privileges to overwrite file' are just a selection of the error messages we get.

We too have missing files where it seems to save the pln ok but when you go to open it next it has disappeared, we also regularly publish DWG's and PDF's to folders on the server and in some cases these files are blank when opened and are only 2kb in size.

This problem doesn't occur 100% of the time although it seems to be becoming more frequent.

The only way around it is to save the file to the local disk and drag it into the server folder manually - a time consuming process and open to human error.

This problem is jepardising our future commitment to what otherwise is a very good ArchiCAD 11 program.

Any advice or guidance on solving these problems would be gratefully recieved. Thanks
Thomas Holm
Booster
You need to have the folders on the server containing your project data set to give all users read and write and change permissions, and that files and folders added should inherit these priviledge settings.

This is a system setting and has nothing to do with Archicad internally.

However, I have no idea on how to accomplish this in Windows! Perhaps a Mac server would serve (!) you better if you're all using Macs?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Barbara Sommer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
There is a known issue with Mac OS 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 that can cause such problem. We have reported this to Apple, but apparently others have found it as well. below is an extract from www.bresink.de:

Mac OS X versions 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 have serious issues in the component which emulates Carbon file access on top of the underlying Unix system. This can cause problems in all network file systems which don't use the AFP (AppleShare) protocol, including NFS, CIFS/SMB and WebDAV. The following (and other) symptoms can occur:

The Finder and the Open/Save panels may display file system objects on a network volume with wrong names.
The Finder and the Open/Save panels may temporarily display file system objects on a network volume which no longer exist. When you click on those objects, they immediately disappear.
Graphical applications which save file system objects to a network volume may report unexpected write errors although the write operation succeeds.
Only applications using the graphical user interface are affected by this problem. Applications which operate at the BSD (Darwin) level are not affected.

Workaround: Restart the network client as soon as possible when such a problem occurs. Consider downgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.8 or better 10.3.8 if possible. We have made Apple aware of this issue and hope they will fix it in future versions of Mac OS X.
Barbara Sommer
Technical Support Team
Graphisoft
Budapest, Hungary
archicadwiki - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Thomas Holm
Booster
Barbara wrote:
Workaround: Restart the network client as soon as possible when such a problem occurs. Consider downgrading to Mac OS X 10.4.8 or better 10.3.8 if possible. We have made Apple aware of this issue and hope they will fix it in future versions of Mac OS X.
Another workaround is of course to use a Mac server. If the current server is the only PC in the office, this should significantly reduve your support expenses too.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tips, We use a PC server because we use PC's for all admin based work - Microsoft Office etc. Its not ideal but it was working fine until v10 was released and its gone downhill since then.

Apparently Apple have addressed the issue in OsX 10.5 - this may be a piece of false information but we are awaiting our upgrade to Leopard to give it a try. I will advise on our findings.

Incidentally all folders on the server where we save our CAD files to have full permissions activated, yet i still get permissions error when we save direct to the server.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

just now, I started receiving these "cannot save plan" -errors. I'm on a Windows system, and tried to save to local hard drive. Couldn't get it to work, and felt quite desperate as I'm on a tight schedule, and losing the file completely would be devastating.

Anyway, I tried some tricks to get it work, and what finally did it (or so it seems now), was to uncheck the 'Compress file' checkbox in the save options dialog.

File seemed to save ok... Hope this helps some poor soul trying to meet deadlines..
Learn and get certified!