Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

a question about memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi friends , i have an easy question for you , iam working on an imac g5 to 1.5 GB i would like to increase to 2 GB , so this could help to do fastest renderings in Archicad ? plk ( archicad 10 )

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
It is a simple question but a difficult answer since many factors are involved.

On my Mac with 3.5 Gb RAM, Archicad maxes around 1.9 Gb.

This means that you could benefit from more RAM, but only if you are rendering complex models.

What does your Activity Monitor say about RAM use when you are rendering?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mr Atkinson , thanks for reply , well i was notice when i use some kind of interior light sources ,or more than 2 exterior lights ( like sunobject,,skyobject,,or general light ) the renders takes to much time than regular .this is why i want to know if 2GB RAM could increase significant rapidity to develop renderings .
Anonymous
Not applicable
i forgot , could you tell me where i can check the RAM activity monitor ? whereas rendering ? i think this will be very usefull to me .

thank you
Erich
Contributor
The Activity monitor will be located in your Utilities folder which is found inside your Applications folder.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Dwight
Newcomer
Those lights can be set in a way that prevents the dual processing capacity of the computer and therefore will be slower - anything where raytracing is calculated is slow. The highest Anti-aliasing setting also cripples rendering speed.

You use more RAM to render large projects without slowing down because of disk-swapping 3D model data.

Like I said before:

What does your Activity Monitor say about RAM use when you are rendering?

This tool will tell you the answer about whether or not you need more RAM since it gauges the amount used for a given task at a given time.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip Erich , as Mr Atkinson say here , i think i have to go to check the activity monitior first , so i can take a better decition about increase the RAM memory.

thank you very much both