Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

TW2 and Object Creating

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ok... once and for all.. can someone please describe the workflow for creating and editing objects in TW2 environment.

Today, I opened an object with the intent of turning it into a SUBTYPE.
1. Open Object
2. Save as SUBTYPE into the BASE OFFICE LIBRARY on the server (the one that feeds the BIM SERVER library)
3. Open up another object to apply the first as a subtype, but it is nowhere to be found.

Through the various litany of Updating / Refreshing and Managing BIM LIBRARIES, I cannot get it to show up.

Finally, just to finish what I was doing, I saved it to the embedded library. Clearly this is NOT what I want to do as other project will need this upgrade and all the object using this as a SUBTYPE are in the BIM SERVER LIBRARY and thus will be MISSING this subtype...

Please, please please explain
1. Where to place newly created object
2. What process is required to make it live in the file (update / refresh, etc)

Thanks!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
2 REPLIES 2
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
mate, object editing of BIM Server libs is a bit tricky thing because of sharing issues... anyway the process you should follow:

1.open object and modify the subtype template
2.save as... save it to the base office library as you suggested (TW window offers you 'Embedded library' by default so be careful)
3.go to File>Libraries and Objects>Manage BIM Server Libraries
4.select your base office library and 'Refresh' button ... this will effectively upload your new object and let BIM Server know about it... you should get a notification window about how many objects were deleted/updated etc. as a confirmation
5.go to File>Libraries and Objects>Library Manager and select second option under green reload icon 'Reload Libraries and Apply all changes'

now you can create a new object and your custom subtype will be visible.

whole process is a real pain in the neck and I have asked GS to merge (at least) Library Manager and BIM Server Libraries functionality somehow to make it a bit more streamlined.... not sure what rubbish bin this request has ended in though
::rk
Robert Nichols
Advocate
Yes, a pain in the neck, and doubly so that I can never successfully refresh a TW library. Coughs up a TW error every time, so I have to remove then add the library as if new. Not quite...robust.
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13