BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Twinmotion for 23

Barry Kelly
Has anyone heard any news as to when the free version of Twinmotion for Archicad 23 is going to be released?
I see the free current version (build 2019.6) availability time has been extended to 'Early 2020'.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
47 REPLIES 47
Jp1138
Expert
Hmm, it seems the program is free for everyone that downloaded the also free 2019 version of Twinmotion, so the free for all Archicad 23 users wasn´t such a big deal after all
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Also, I thought this was supposed to have real-time raytracing, which it doesn't. Granted, there are many improvements, but I think it was made pretty clear at last year's Las Vegas AIA convention that RT raytracing was going to be there. Nothing from GS on this?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
Richard wrote:
Also, I thought this was supposed to have real-time raytracing, which it doesn't. Granted, there are many improvements, but I think it was made pretty clear at last year's Las Vegas AIA convention that RT raytracing was going to be there. Nothing from GS on this?
Agree, this seems pretty weird given the promises made and the video shown of what to expect. Equally odd is that there has been no direct email from either Graphisoft or Epic about the availability of 2020 vs the promised features - yet it 2020 is available for download with (very limited) info on the Epic web site.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
I am hoping that GS will notify us about TM2020, and provide us with an easier way to install it.
I am dreading that I will have to install Epic Games Launcher on 50+ machines and then individually download and install TW through EGL.
It took me about 3 hours to install it on my machine last week.
Maybe longer, as I just turned of the monitor an went home and let it do its thing.
I really would like a simple installation file that I can download once and distribute to all my machines.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rm
Advisor
Rex -

Do you know if you also need to update to the Unreal Engine 4.24.3 to run TM 202.1?

Im not clear if the two run independently, together or if the components of the Unreal Engine that are used are baked into TM.

Thanks!
Rex wrote:
Apparently the tabs need refreshing sometimes. Download both Twinmotion 2020.1 and the ArchiCAD plugins in the Epic Games Launcher.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
rm wrote:

Do you know if you also need to update to the Unreal Engine 4.24.3 to run TM 202.1?

No, we do not need to download the Unreal Engine. That info is buried in the TwinMotion FAQs, but the stupid Epic Games Launcher has that huge 'download Unreal Engine' button, giving one more reason why that is the dumbest way for us to download a standalone product (TwinMotion).

(While I'm ranting about Epic: if you had downloaded TwinMotion 2019, you would see that every update was a full over-a-GB download, rather than an update patch like most other software. I'm on a super slow internet connection - and I know that some of our users around the world are on data-capped connections as well. Epic has got to figure out how to update their software in a way that doesn't require a full download other than for a release upgrade such as this 2020 one.)

<end answer / rant > 🙂
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Advisor
Karl -

Wondering if I am missing something here relative to the updated libraries of textures and objects within TM 2020. I was under the impression since Epic bought Quixel, that the available libraries were going to be significantly better.

Seems like TM 2020 added better, not great trees, some additional textures, mostly tropical ground cover and cars that look made up instead of real models.

Seems to me Lumion, aside from the fact that it works only on Windows has a significantly better library of assets.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
Re: Asset library update / quality -

I don't know, Robert. (I've not downloaded 2020 yet as I have to do it overnight because of the size and my slow internet and keep forgetting to start it.)

Maybe someone else can share some insight?
Lingwisyer
Guru
Someone posted a tutorial regarding Quixel assets and TM on Youtube last year utilising Quixel Bridge. There was a comment about trouble regarding plants though...

Hopefully Epic will find a way to integrate the UE Marketplace into TW at some point.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
rm
Advisor
Ling -

So Im not looking at this wrong! In my mind, the improvements in TM 2020 are only evolutionary, not at all revolutionary compared to Lumion.

Lumions library assets at this time are far superior than those offered in TM. Interface regularly gets “hung-up”. Skys are no where near as good as Lumion. Mapping grass or ground covering TM often bleeds past edges and its not easy to control.

TM causes the fans on both my all my Macs to constantly run at full speed because of the frame rate - you don't need a high frame rate for single view renderings.

In my opinion, the low cost to get into TM, if you buy it, is because Epic Games knows this is just a paid Beta, that is not ready for prime time!
Lingwisyer wrote:
Someone posted a tutorial regarding Quixel assets and TM on Youtube last year utilising Quixel Bridge. There was a comment about trouble regarding plants though...

Hopefully Epic will find a way to integrate the UE Marketplace into TW at some point.

Ling.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Learn and get certified!