Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Associating printer with layout.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be very convenient if you could attach the printer to the layout. We tend to work with A1 (from a plotter) and A3 (from a printer). If we wish to print an A1 drawing, then an A3 drawing, then an A1 drawing, we have to do the following:

1. Go to Page Set up. Set the paper size and the printer
2. Go to Print. Set the printer (again!)
3. Print the drawing.
1. Go to Page Set up. Reset the paper size and the printer
2. Go to print. Set the printer (yet again!)
6. Print the drawing
7. Go to Page Set up. Reset the paper size and the printer (this is getting boring!)
8. Go to print. Set the printer (finally!)
9. Print the drawing.

I would assume that, if this could be done, then you could print a batch of mixed size drawings from Publisher.

- Keith

Archicad v. 11
on Mac OS 10.4.8
18 REPLIES 18
Stress Co_
Advisor
Laura wrote:
Our Publishing Sets are grouped by purpose and output device, for example:
.....and Marx Brother
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Stress wrote:
Laura wrote:
Our Publishing Sets are grouped by purpose and output device, for example:
.....and Marx Brother
We have four printers: Chico, Zeppo, Groucho, and Harpo. Somebody had a sense of humor...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Stress Co_
Advisor
Laura wrote:
We have four printers: Chico, Zeppo, Groucho, and Harpo. Somebody had a sense of humor...
My all-in-one is know as "the antichrist".
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It must be just me, because, having read all your replies (for which, thanks, by the way), I didn't realise that within a 'Printing Publishing Set' you can actually set up the Page layout and printer for each layout separately.

Which is exactly what I was looking for!

So you don't have to make one set of layouts for publishing to one printer, and another set for publishing to another. The contents of one set can go to different printers for different layout sizes, as appropriate.

Oddly, though, although you can set the printer for each layout, you can only set one 'preset' for the whole set. Is that an error?

And when you set the printer, the confirm button is marked 'PRINT' rather than 'OK', which is a bit confusing.

Keith

Archicad 11 on Mac OSX 10.4.8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Keith wrote:
So you don't have to make one set of layouts for publishing to one printer, and another set for publishing to another. The contents of one set can go to different printers for different layout sizes, as appropriate.
Right.
Keith wrote:

Oddly, though, although you can set the printer for each layout, you can only set one 'preset' for the whole set. Is that an error?
No - it's not an error. The idea is that you can set them individually if you have different sizes within the set. Imagine you have a set with mnostly A2 layouts, except for a couple of A4 layouts for your schedules. Setting them individually allows you to include them all in one publisher set.

If however they are all one size, then you can just set the properties for the folder in which they all reside, and it will set the properties for all those layouts. Easy!

And don't forget that you can use both of these methods together if you like, where you put all of one size into one folder, and all of the other size into another folder. Then you can set the sizes of each folder, but still keep them in one publisher set.
Keith wrote:
And when you set the printer, the confirm button is marked 'PRINT' rather than 'OK', which is a bit confusing.
Yes, I fear the good programmers at GS may have taken a bit of a shortcut here. As part of the setup process, it doesn't actually print, and should just read OK.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
No - it's not an error. The idea is that you can set them individually if you have different sizes within the set. Imagine you have a set with mnostly A2 layouts, except for a couple of A4 layouts for your schedules. Setting them individually allows you to include them all in one publisher set.

If however they are all one size, then you can just set the properties for the folder in which they all reside, and it will set the properties for all those layouts. Easy!
Run that past me again?

It doesn't make sense to me that you can set the printer individually for each layout in the set, but the printer presets only globally for the whole set. If printer no. 1 uses preset 'p1' and printer no. 2 uses preset 'p2', then doesn't this negate the ability to mix printers?

Also it seems to me that if you wish to set any of the parameters 'at a stroke' then you should be able to highlight them all, or some of them, before choosing the format settings.

Keith

Archicad 11 on Mac 0SX 10.4.8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:

Run that past me again?

It doesn't make sense to me that you can set the printer individually for each layout in the set, but the printer presets only globally for the whole set. If printer no. 1 uses preset 'p1' and printer no. 2 uses preset 'p2', then doesn't this negate the ability to mix printers?

Also it seems to me that if you wish to set any of the parameters 'at a stroke' then you should be able to highlight them all, or some of them, before choosing the format settings.

Keith

Archicad 11 on Mac 0SX 10.4.8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Printer preset? You may have to be more clear here, or enlist the help of a mac person.

Otherwise the logic is quite simple. Setup the printer settings via the publisher for a whole folder if all layouts are the same (size particularly), or set the prenter settings individually if they're different.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Link.

I guess it is a MAC thing. Printer presets is just a way of packaging up all the options for any printer and saving them under a name. So, for our EPSON plotter we have options like 'roll paper option', and for our TOSHIBA A3 printer we can choose various paper feed options/color settings etc. For both we have the 'Archicad' options, determining things like B&W/color, extents of plot etc.

My complaint (Graphisoft please note) is that whilst I can send a mixed set of drawings to print via publisher: say 2 x A1 drawings to the EPSON plotter and 1 x A3 drawing to the TOSHIBA printer, I have to send them all with the presets either set for the EPSON or for the TOSHIBA. Which doesn't make any sense at all!

Keith

Archicad 11 Mac 0SX 10.4.8