BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Column veneers in section!

Karl Ottenstein
We can see composites in plan and section.

Why is it that we cannot see the veneer of a column in section?!
Veneers show in plan only.

I have a not-unusual situation with a concrete or CMU core and stone or brick veneer that looks just fine in plan ... but shows as a solid CMU mass in section. Useless.

Workaround is to use two columns - one for the core, with the core fill, and one as big as the mass with veneer, with the veneer fill. Solid Element Subtract the inner column from the outer one and things look right in section and plan. But this should not be necessary.

Wish: column veneer fills should show in section!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
i would call that a BUG and not a wish.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It's understandable as I can remember 1st year at the Faculty of Architecture - never make a section through columns and I have never used that in AC.
However, putting the theory aside, it is another inconsistency (as we actually can create a section through a column in AC) I agree to call that a bug....
I vote essential... (for a bug fixing)
::rk
I call it a bug too, and I have reported it as such. I was told, it's not standard to cut sections through columns. It's true, but it's still a straightforward VB-consistency issue. I have wanted to cut through a concrete/maconry pier in order to start a detail.

The other thing is that the 'defined' use of the tool is only part of it. You can use all the tools to make things other than the building elements in their names. If the section worked right, you could make a chimney from a column. Columns don't usually require sections, but something made from a column might.

Bonus column consistency gripe: Their plans aren't stretchable.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
TomWaltz
Participant
James wrote:
I call it a bug too, and I have reported it as such. I was told, it's not standard to cut sections through columns. It's true, but it's still a straightforward VB-consistency issue. I have wanted to cut through a concrete/maconry pier in order to start a detail.

The other thing is that the 'defined' use of the tool is only part of it. You can use all the tools to make things other than the building elements in their names. If the section worked right, you could make a chimney from a column. Columns don't usually require sections, but something made from a column might.

Bonus column consistency gripe: Their plans aren't stretchable.
US Tech Support seems to think that bugs only occur when the program does not act as the programmer intended. If the programmer did not intend for columns to look the same in section as in plan, it's not a bug.... right??

Personally, I don't see how anyone could say this is not a bug.... I bet most people seeing this situation would wonder what they did wrong, any why the column did not look right in section.
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
From my experience I have learnt that in GS terminology:

Everything that requires feature development is categorized as a wish. Or it may be put simply that a wish is something that means adding new code to ArchiCAD. A bugfix means changing existing code.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyway, this must be solved , with a visibility management of composite materials in mind (which parts to see and which not in which views.)
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for all of the support and comments, guys ... and it is good to know that this has been reported in the past as a bug.

Not being an architect, I didn't know there was a 'rule' to not cut sections through columns. But, sometimes a section has nowhere else to go and the column just happens to be there. (Why I noticed it yesterday!) If a veneered column shows up as a single concrete or masonry (or whatever) mass ... our documents are in error.

As always, James has the more general point ... that no tool is intended to be used only for the name it has and we all use columns for other things, just as we use walls and slabs for lots of other things. 😉

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Scott Bulmer
Booster
It seems correct to state that this issue persists in 13, five years after Karl's post. Please advise if I am doing something wrong. Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Erika Epstein
Booster
And note column sections through column tool column on left the column shows its width incorrectly as both the core+finish.

The column made with the custom profile on the right shows correctly in both plan and section.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!