cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Winders, 2D & meeting codes impossible!

March_ Bruce
Booster
Well along with my slab cut edge material edit request from v4.5 the stairs that come with archicad are unusable assuming one wants to actually submit for a permit, meet codes & construct a safe & legal building.

far simpler faster stairs I remember using back in v4 were better than the all the options available since stairnmaker was forced upon us

if you are going to 'improve' something just make sure you don't throw the baby out with the bath water, as they say

stairmaker can't produce a usable winder stair similar to anything I've ever seen built in North America let alone meet code

archicad has some great features but some oversites that clearly make me understand why AutoCAD is the standard - archicad isn't used by anyone else I know in North America
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
Especially since many users have an accent that when pronouncing "Winder" makes me think they are talking about an exterior opening in a wall, similar to doors.
Dwight Atkinson
March_ Bruce
Booster
Many basics could, in my humble opinion benefit from 'improvement':

1) Edit slab edge materials I don't know of a building that doesn't have a hole cut in a slab somewhere - usually for stairs - yet the material inside the cut remains as the exterior edge, for example if the exterior edge is brick - this wishlist item is so incredibly basic it was emphatically communicated back when I was using 4.1, like having a group command for drafting...

2) Trim slabs to roof - when doing an overhanging roof against the edge of a slab, sections could actually render with clean lines allowing detailing & prevent slabs from 'piercing' roofs - again very basic operation asked for in the early days (doh!)

3) Stairs that meet codes & have some precedent in the real world - honestly don't know how one could even walk up some of what stairmaker produces, especially winders... Simple stairs that don't need 45 parameters set up would be helpful...

4) Windows with a shallow arch window header & concrete/stone sills as are found in so many residences around the world - workaround for sills is 0" mortar but clumsy.

5) Logical default pen weights that have some comprehensive rationale and are available for every tool easily - we do produce drawings after all & archicad has great graphic potential that has been crippled by illogical, limited & obfuscated setup especially with library parts. There are only 3 pen weights in the first 10 pens & all library parts.

I used to set up pens 1-10 as black from 0mm to 2.0mm weighting which offered WYSIWYG onscreen, numeric correllation to weight & scalability for small page output but the inefficiency of having to adjust every library part's penweights wore me out. Global resetting & referencing might assist yet every library upgrade or replacement might face similar issues.

That being said v9 did make some progress with the remaining pen allocations, whic show some sense of graphical order beyond what I assume is the modulo 8 pen plotter & autocad legacy.

So really the most basic construction tools still have serious limitations that are longstanding & leave me scratching my head at many of the 'high end' archicad features - when I can't even easily put together a basic building model or adjust pen weights 'on the fly'...

And we're almost at version 10 ?
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
1, 2, and 3 have been on my wish list for some time! Looking forward to AC10.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
TomWaltz
Participant
March, wrote:
Many basics could, in my humble opinion benefit from 'improvement':

1) Edit slab edge materials I don't know of a building that doesn't have a hole cut in a slab somewhere - usually for stairs - yet the material inside the cut remains as the exterior edge, for example if the exterior edge is brick - this wishlist item is so incredibly basic it was emphatically communicated back when I was using 4.1, like having a group command for drafting...

2) Trim slabs to roof - when doing an overhanging roof against the edge of a slab, sections could actually render with clean lines allowing detailing & prevent slabs from 'piercing' roofs - again very basic operation asked for in the early days (doh!)
I know it's a bit of a workaround, but Solid Element Operations allow you to fo both of these.

The Stairs, Windows, and Line Weights, well that's another story.... 😞
Tom Waltz
March_ Bruce
Booster
Thanks, yes I am aware of solid operations however I don't understand, with the ease & obvious capabilities of the beam & wall tools, why we don't have these in the slab tool, which seems so essential to basic work...

And while I'm thinking about basics & horizontally I'd like to know if xyz data (transit station) import for the mesh tool is possible in a way that would allow a quick survey import creating a site model...?
TomWaltz wrote:
I know it's a bit of a workaround, but Solid Element Operations allow you to do both of these.

The Stairs, Windows, and Line Weights, well that's another story.... 😞
Anonymous
Not applicable
The stairmaker stairs don't really work for UK domestic timber stairs either.

ArchiStair has more flexibility, but again cannot represent a typical timber stair with widers.

For importing XYZ data as a mesh try ArchiTerra which is meant to handle XYZ coordinates from a DXF or a text file.
TomWaltz
Participant
March, wrote:
Thanks, yes I am aware of solid operations however I don't understand, with the ease & obvious capabilities of the beam & wall tools, why we don't have these in the slab tool, which seems so essential to basic work...]
Sorry, I can only tell you how to get around the road block, not why it's there....
Tom Waltz

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!