BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

BIMx Pro on the Iphone with Google Cardboard...touche' GS!

rob2218
Enthusiast
I must say....when I received my Google Cardboard to use with my iphone using the BIMx Pro software...I wasn't expecting much.
Boy....was I certainly mistaken.
The sense of "space" you get as you walk around immersed in this 3d world is incredible.
Sure, the graphics and pixel issues are a bit noticable but that's only going to get much much better within the next year or so, so that's a non-issue. it's completely acceptable.
But the illusion that you are actually "inside" a building you designed is incredible.
Your mind is tricked into thinking that you can actually touch carpet paneling on a room for a home theater, that you can actually touch the countertops in the kitchen. That you can actually stand in a space and see rafters, beams, pitched roofs and look down from a second story balcony......amazing job guys....really.

My hats off to you all.
it's such a simple marriage of the BIMx software with the Google Cardboard and inexpensive too.

I'm considering sending my clients a few boxes...at $15 a box....it's a no brainer.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
3D TV with glasses (as annoying as those are for those of us with glasses) gives me the pleasant feeling of looking through a window as it were.

Due to eyesight problems I could never get ye olde stereographic things to work, so I haven't bothered with VR BIMx yet myself, but I would prefer a TV app with 3D glasses, though I think the 'hype' for this has passed already.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
gpowless
Advocate
sboydturner wrote:
Nausea is still a significant problem even with high end VR solutions. Just yesterday afternoon our interior designers had a virtual walk though of an apartment development we have designed even using the graphic artists dedicated system some felt I’ll and needed to rest for a while before they were safe to leave. The disconnect between what is seen by the eyes and what is sensed by the inner ear is very much a challenge, the only ‘easy’ solution I can see is that VR is experienced actually walking around in a large room
Scott
+1

I have had the same issue since the inception of BIMx except not only do I have motion sickness with Google Cardboard but also with tablet or full size monitor applications after only a minute or two. I have given up using walk-throughs as a design presentation for clients because I can't properly proof the scenes.

However, I continue to use BIMx for site reference and technical drawings. Although there are some interesting abilitiesin BIMx, Acrobat is still my go-to app for communication.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Learn and get certified!