on 2021-07-2610:30 AM - edited on 2023-05-1502:34 PM by Noemi Balogh
BIMx mobile applications have been rebuild from scratch based on a new 3D engine. This article describes the most significant improvement: the Data Streaming technology, emphasizing its benefits to your BIMx experience.
The iOS app version already received this innovative feature in 2020 July, and from now it is also available on Android. You can follow the latest BIMx News here.
What does it do?
The new Data Streaming technology address a solution to the model size limitations on mobile devices. In case you need to open a large 3D model, and your mobile device wouldn't handle it otherwise, the streaming mode can be activated. That way, only the displayed perspectives are loaded into the device's memory, making the navigation faster and avoiding crashes.
Furthermore, the new 3D engine has overall increased performance. It is more powerful, being able to open bigger projects smoothly, even when the Data Streaming feature is not activated.
Why is it better?
In previous versions of BIMx mobile apps, opening large and complex 3D models would highly depend on your device's hardware capabilities. For this reason, users could experience unexpected crashes while opening those models in the old application.
Thanks to the advanced Data Streaming technology, now you can open any 3D model in BIMx, regardless of its size and complexity, with no memory constrain.
How can I access it?
The new BIMx runs smoother with the new 3D engine in general. Whenever the model size and complexity exceeds your device's hardware capabilities, Data Streaming is needed to be activated in order to visualize the 3D model. This technology can be accessed as a part of the subscription-based PRO function pack, available in the application's BIMx Store.
You'll be prompted with a message whenever you start opening a 3D model that requires Data Streaming and you don't have PRO features activated.
The new BIMx runs smoother with the new 3D engine in general. Whenever the 3D model size and complexity exceeds your device's hardware capabilities (it depends mostly on RAM), Data Streaming is needed to be activated in order to visualize the model.
This technology can be accessed as a part of the subscription-based PRO function pack, available in the application's BIMx Store. If your device's hardware doesn't allow opening the complete 3D model, BIMx will demand the activation of Data Streaming to proceed when attempting to open a complex 3D model.
• You can reach PRO functions without subscription by joining the Teamwork project via BIMcloud. See more here.
• Hyper-models' complete 2D documentation and simpler 3D models can always be opened in the free app version.
• It is recommended to open complex models on high-end devices to obtain better results with the free app version. For example, BIMx running on a device with 2GB RAM might need Data Streaming, while other equipment with 6GB RAM can open the same 3D model without streaming mode.
• By optimizing the Hyper-model, you can allow the complete model loading and achieve smoother navigation. See more here.
• Subscriptions to BIMx PRO can be canceled anytime and start with a two-week free trial.