Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Cinerender Surface Materials problem

FelRei
Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to create materials from a CG Axis Material Pack.

I am not sure to which channels i put the materials and also to which intensity.

At the moment i am at this point:

Diffuse ---> to color channel (100% intensity)

Albedo --> ?

Glossiness ---> ?

Roughness ---> to bump channel (how much intensity?)

Height / Displacement --> to displacement cannel

Normal --> to normal channel (how much intensity?)

Reflection ---> I guess to the reflectance channel, but i don't understand the layering system and where to add maps

Ambient Occlusion ---> ?

If anyone could explain me for each map to what channel it has to go, and how to know the intensity it would be super helpful..

Another thing:

Right now i added the color, bump, normal, and displacement, but i have the feeling no map does anything to the result, except for the diffuse /color map. I have all channels on stong intesity to be sure to see changes in the result, but nothing changes. in the material preview it also shows e.g. strong displacement, but not in the result.  Does someone have an idea why?

I attach some screenshots. Maybe they help to understand.

Thank you so much!

Felix

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.45.54.png

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.46.13.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.46.31.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.46.38.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.46.49.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.46.59.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.47.09.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.47.16.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.48.44.pngScreenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.48.49.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
runxel
Legend

First: You should have a look at the tutorials of @Carstenem, some are on YT and he also posts them here.

Second: Try and use the "Detailed Settings" in the photorealistic settings palette. The simple one does not cut it imho.

For proper displacement in general you'll need to enable "Sub-Polygon Displacement".

Some other bits of information I gathered over time:

There are two different modes for PBR (phsyically based rendering):

• Specular, sometimes refered to as Glossiness
  • Metalness, also called Roughness

While the metalness workflow has been established with all real-time renderers (like Unreal and Unity), the most conventional renderers still use the specular workflow. Cineware can't do metalness, Redshift can. ALL renderers "understand" specular, so you're safe to use that, if you can choose, choose it (some online download platforms let you do that).

I'd probably put them maps like this:

Diffuse → Color

Albedo → Color

Glossiness → Reflectance

Roughness → invert to have glossiness basically

Height / Displacement → Bump or Displacement

Normal → Normal

Reflection → Reflectance too, but it's complicated tpoic

Ambient Occlusion → Diffuse

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
runxel
Legend

First: You should have a look at the tutorials of @Carstenem, some are on YT and he also posts them here.

Second: Try and use the "Detailed Settings" in the photorealistic settings palette. The simple one does not cut it imho.

For proper displacement in general you'll need to enable "Sub-Polygon Displacement".

Some other bits of information I gathered over time:

There are two different modes for PBR (phsyically based rendering):

• Specular, sometimes refered to as Glossiness
  • Metalness, also called Roughness

While the metalness workflow has been established with all real-time renderers (like Unreal and Unity), the most conventional renderers still use the specular workflow. Cineware can't do metalness, Redshift can. ALL renderers "understand" specular, so you're safe to use that, if you can choose, choose it (some online download platforms let you do that).

I'd probably put them maps like this:

Diffuse → Color

Albedo → Color

Glossiness → Reflectance

Roughness → invert to have glossiness basically

Height / Displacement → Bump or Displacement

Normal → Normal

Reflection → Reflectance too, but it's complicated tpoic

Ambient Occlusion → Diffuse

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Karl Ottenstein

Just to add to runxel's comment with a screenshot of the Detailed Settings for Photorendering Settings.  There are an insane number of settings available here to let you fine tune things and access features that are otherwise hidden.  There is still no way to change column widths (at least on Mac) so you need to make the dialog window wider to be able to read everything.  In simple mode (your screenshot), you're missing 99% of the features...including being able to enable 3D grass, for example.

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 3.30.04 PM.jpg

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks a lot for the clarification. the Sub-Polygon Dsplacement was the trick. And now I know about which map to put where! In the center of faces it looks fine for me now, but around adges it seems pretty off.. do you know how i can correctly wrap the objects to receive seamless edges?

And if you see the Render, any idea which map is maybe too strong or which setting is off, to create these artefacts?

Thanks so much for your help! : )

Felix

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 14.33.26.png

Thanks for this helpful info, now I understnd why i never saw any details!

Carstenem
Expert

Just saw your topic and it looks like it is sorted. Thanks @runxel runxel for mentioning my YT free Cinerender tutorials.
@FelRei if you still need more knowledge on how to use Cinerender you can always check out my course here: CineRender Course Outdoors

Cheers Carsten

Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz

Hi Carsten, oh yeah they look really interesting. I'll check them out.

One question was still open for me, which I sent as a replie to runxels answer. It refers to the mapping of textures around objects. As seen in the screenshot, the object is not wrapped correctly. I don't understand how to edit the wrapping / mapping in Archicad.

Do you have any hints on this?

Best

Felix