Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d print

Petros Ioannou
Booster
Anyone out there who has experience in producing a physical 3d model using his 3d ArchiCAD model?
How was it transformed to STL files?
What was the behavior of the various elements of AC (walls, windows , doors) in the 3d printing??

Thank you in advance
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable
I saw this and thought I would post a mono-chromatic model I had printed about 1 1/2 years ago. Saving in VMRL is easy out of the 3D window but remember to "back up" windows and doors with walls and plan on a minimum finished thickness of 1mm (1/16"). I also "punch" holes in the floors and any other enclosed spaces so the excess powder can be removed. This particular project had to be printed in two pieces because of the size limitations of the printer. The base in this case was hand built.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in contact with Brian Elder of the 3D Reprographics Company in California (3DRG.com) and are attempting to get an Archicad 10 file into a format that he can use to extrude a plastic 3D model of my designs. This is potentially a solution for many architects and designers that would like to have a durable plastic model that the client can disassemble and inspect. To quote Brian:

"It's a coincidence that you are emailing with questions about ArchiCAD 10. I have a meeting this afternoon with an architect in San Diego that uses the same program. He's new to using any software and he's having trouble exporting the necessary file type we need to print the 3DRG Models (.stl stereolithography). The older versions did have a few issues in creating a useable "stl" file but we either would try to fix the file or re-build it.
I have limited to no experience with this version so if you would like to send us a sample file we would be able to take a look at it and see if we could get something to work.
What we need to print your file is an "STL" file. I'm not sure if there is a direct "export" or "save as" feature in ArchiCAD, if so that's what we need. If that's not available, if you could export it as a single 3D object (i.e. 3D AutoCad file, 3D Studio Max, Rhino, Solidworks, or a file that would be one solid object that contains a volume) we might be able to get it to work. It's worth a shot.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems. Look forward to hearing from you.

Brian

3D Reprographics
3DRG.com
(805)218-9743"

If anyone has suggestions about how this might be accomplished, please contact me or Brian. Check out their website as well. This seems like a great technology that could spread additional ArchiCAD joy throughout the world.

Thanks for reading, Chris Ellis
Erika Epstein
Booster
From your 3D window, do a save as and choose the
3D Sudio File (*.3ds) as your type of file.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Djordje
Ace
Search for posts by user Gorazd; they did quite a few 3D printer conversions. AFAIR it all started not from 3ds, but from a wrl export.

Found it: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=9454

Report your results ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje,

Here is the results for my search using your suggestions for Printing in 3D:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=70255&highlight=print#70255

I'll report back with my progress with Brian of 3D Reprographics after trying these file save suggestions and huddling with him. The plastic 3D models would certainly be small enough to ship anywhere and would save the expense of buying an expensive printer. The Vidar printer supports Windows XP Professional, so I may finally have to try the Intel Mac's windows capability if this pans out.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Chris
Gorazd
Enthusiast
Archicad has only vrml export in 3D window. You need an external program as Max, Cinema, Rhino, ... that can import 3DS file and save to STL. I went through Maxonform, and it was OK. Next week we will make a test of 3D printer Dimension from Stratasys. It makes a model from ABS. No colors though.
------

Gorazd Rajh

From AC 6.5 onward, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Gerald Hoffman
Advocate
I thought I would post a couple of shots of a model done for a project I am doing in the Cayman Islands. I do not know what they used to cut out the model elements but I provided them with DWG files of Floor Plans and Elevations as well as some sections and some small 3D views of some of the more complicated parts. I think they did a pretty good job. There is lots of detail you won't see on these because of the jpg limit but if anyone wants a larger image just let me know.

Just thought you all would like to see these. It is 1/8" = 1'-0" scale.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Gerald Hoffman
Advocate
Image 2 on the ocean side.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Chazz
Enthusiast
For smaller projects:

http://www.desktopfactory.com/our_product/
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gorazd wrote:
Archicad has only vrml export in 3D window. You need an external program as Max, Cinema, Rhino, ... that can import 3DS file and save to STL. I went through Maxonform, and it was OK. Next week we will make a test of 3D printer Dimension from Stratasys. It makes a model from ABS. No colors though.
Gorazd,

What were you results and experience with the Dimension ABS printer?
Did you create your own stl file?