Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCAD block attributes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all.

Assume that I have a simple object lets say a rectangle with a number in the middle. I place the object lets say 10 times in my drawing with different numbers. (the same stands for level dimensions etc)

When I export the drawing to DWG i get a file with 10 different blocks (one for each number). Is it possible to have 10 instances of the same block, with block attributes in AutoCAD? In other words convert the text of the object to autocad block attributes.

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Fotis wrote:
Assume that I have a simple object lets say a rectangle with a number in the middle. I place the object lets say 10 times in my drawing with different numbers. (the same stands for level dimensions etc)

When I export the drawing to DWG i get a file with 10 different blocks (one for each number). Is it possible to have 10 instances of the same block, with block attributes in AutoCAD? In other words convert the text of the object to autocad block attributes.
No (unless there's something that I've missed).

The only option is to convert objects to blocks... and for a placed object to be an identical block, everything about it must be identical. Since your numbers change, each will be a new block.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
It would be interesting to see what ArchiCAD does with block attributes (a new concept to me - haven't used Autocad in many years - back then blocks were 'stupid').

The attached shows one of the 'round trip' options in the dwg translator. If this is checked and if you had opened a dwg file with attributed blocks as you describe... I wonder if those blocks would be editable at all in AC... and what would return to Autocad? (??)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB