Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCad , Back to MAC (beta screenshots) !

TMA_80
Enthusiast
it's almost here:

http://www.macstories.net/news/first-screenshots-of-autocad-for-mac/

I can assume we should hear the same thing for Revit ...GS be careful ! .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's right -- it was $199 US per month per seat.

A significant chunk of change! - but it did allow flexibility in your seat arrangements. I prefer the current arrangement - between the 2nd and 3rd years paying the $4500 US up front + 699/yr is cheaper under Autodesk's pricing.
Chazz
Enthusiast
owen wrote:
Cloud-computing may well have a future in non-processor intensive applications but I just cannot see remote server farms taking over from high-powered workstations for design firms with users running multiple applications like Photoshop, ArchiCAD/Revit, C4D/Max, Rhino, etc. ....There is a reason our standard workstation is an 8-Core Mac Pro with 8GB+ RAM .. people need it.
I actually think that computationally intensive computing is an argument FOR cloud computing. It is pretty inefficient for everyone to have high-end workstations on their desks (as much as I like it). I only need the power sometimes and the the ability of the cloud to load-ballance and dynamically allocate resourses where needed holds out the promise of reducing a firm's computing overhead. That, combined with a unified and therefore potentially simplified deployment environment (instead of multiple flavors of Apple + Windows hardware & software) is another huge benefit. Some firms have already begun this process using Revit on Citrix.

I use lots of cloud apps (as we all do) and while they work great for email, etc., I have run into issues with more complex tools. So I think we are not there yet but I believe we are inexorably on the path to moving EVERYTHING to the cloud. The massive increases in bandwidth will also facilitate this. Ironically, it is old-fashion shrink-wrap software developers like GS (and most famously MS) that seem to be the foot draggers here even though they potentially have the most to gain.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
There's a firm I read about that runs Revit on a back-end high-powered workstation and the users run thin-client to work. I guess they've solved the problem of poor video performance over remote desktop... and as they're an international office, the workstations are shared 24h a day. Then can have 6 or more users using the same workstation at the same time
Chadwick
Newcomer
Call me very, very skeptical of the cloud. Sure, for email and your calendar it's alright. But I don't feel very comfortable about having my software out of my reach. For instance, look what Apple just did with LaLa after they acquired it. Shut it down completely as of yesterday. I don't care how much or little I am paying for the software - I don't want to entertain the notion that a software company can pull the rug right out from underneath you. What if your software is in the cloud and the rival to that software bought it, shut it down and blended it into their software - ultimately forcing you into their software or a different company's software at the least? I'll keep my boxed software (or at the very least, digital copies on the hard drive).
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chadwick wrote:
Call me very, very skeptical of the cloud.
That's not "skeptical", it's called wisdom.
lec