BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export to Blender...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even tho Archicad doesn't have a native support for exporting Blender files, Blender 2.8 is proving to be an excellent asset for Architectural Visualization. I am using it and greatly impressed. But I wonder if other people are using, and what is your workflow from getting the Archicad model into Blender.

So far I have been exporting as FBX, using the twinmotion exporter, with the added problem the twinmotion export doesn't bring any lighting information into the model. So, there is the re-texturing and re-lighting. I have had also some success with the Collada export and import on Blender. And am experimenting with using Rhino 6 as a in-between format, for the 3DM generated by Archicad does carry all the lighting information, meaning I don't need to re-do the lighting design on the model, and Rhino exports the FBX preserving the lighting information.

Re-texturing would be done in any way, but I am interested if anyone has a better workflow, that preserves some quality of UV mapping, lights and so on Or if there is any Blender exporter on the way
9 REPLIES 9
Vangeorgh
Participant
I have a similar problem. I saved the 3D file as .obj format and I tried importing it, but it would load for a few minutes and show me nothing. I need some assistance please
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very interesting.
I thought of using bleender to render the 3D model produced in Archicad.
Also looking for a good way to do this.
rozky
Contributor
I wrote to Dinnye and asked for an exporter for blender. He said it is possible but needs more demand.
Dinnye is author of DIN3D an excellent exporter to c4d and max. It is a commercial product but it worth every penny. (possibility to update exported scenes)
So If you want exporter to blender then write to Dinnye
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - 64GB RAM; NVidia GTX 1080Ti ; Windows 10 64bit; AC10-AC23 (64bit)
runxel
Legend
I've been using Collada as well. In my experience the geometry was the best and cleanest.

Never cared for lightning so far – I don't trust exporting lights anyway, since everybody handles them slightly different and most possibly you have to go over all lights again in any case.

But a dedicated exporter would be amazing.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Try exporting as FBX or Colada (dae) instead, the reason you don't see the model in blender when you export as obj is most likely because the scale is too large, you can check this by scrolling away from the origin in blender.

Hi

Thank you for your questions.

I checked the blender one year ago. And i realize some problems...

The problem is Blender license and language (python)

So i don't want implement Din3D under blender because python is readable...

https://www.blender.org/about/license/

Sharing or selling Blender add-ons (Python scripts)

Blender’s Python API is an integral part of the software, used to define the user interface or develop tools for example. The GNU GPL license therefore requires that such scripts (if published) are being shared under a GPL compatible license. You are free to sell such scripts, but the sales then is restricted to the download service itself. Your customers will receive the script under the same license (GPL), with the same free conditions as everyone has for Blender.

Sorry

One can always export to, say, a ”trial” version of Max using the DIN3D plugin then to Blender using fbx.

Victor Cosmin Pop / Architect

www.atelierularhitext.com

AC25 INT • M1 MacBook Pro 8 GB RAM (for late nights couch working) • Windows 10 2080TI Ryzen 5950X 128 GB RAM (for burning money on electricity)
David Pavliha1
Participant

Hello! I have a problem when importing a model (colada fille) from Archicad to Blender (3.5). In the Object Mode model looks fine but then when I switch to Edit Mode the geometry of model gets fragmented into triangles... that makes adding textures to the model a nightmare. Is there any solution to fix it or it is easier just to create a new model in Blender? 

image.jpg

When exporting to certain formats it's common for the software to triangulate the geometry.

Looks like colada is one of those formats.

Learn and get certified!