Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

How do I generate quantities take-off

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where do I begin to have A10 generate a bill-of-materials and door and window schedules?
26 REPLIES 26
TomWaltz
Participant
Have you started working with the Interactive Scheduler yet?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
No. I really dont know what the Interactive scheduler is.
Dwight
Newcomer
I direct you to page 261 of Archicad's Reference Guide. It will provide a foundation to the difficulty of making schedules.

Window Schedule Templates are located as in the attched image.
Dwight Atkinson
TomWaltz
Participant
jeromewms wrote:
No. I really dont know what the Interactive scheduler is.
Then I'd recommend looking it up in your user manual. I was wrong in my terminology, though. AC10 calls it the "Interactive Element Schedule".

On your Navigator, there is a heading called Element Schedules. Under that, Archicad includes several example schedules to experiment with and that are decent for experimenting on your own.

Archicad has two scheduling systems, the one Dwight mentions and the one I just mentioned.
Tom Waltz
Rick Thompson
Expert
jeromewms wrote:
Where do I begin to have A10 generate a bill-of-materials and door and window schedules?
If by bill of materials you need a material take off... number of framing members, GWB amounts.. gal of paint... etc, then the Interactive Scheduler is not much help. For that you will need to dive into the darkest, deepest, murkiest area of AC.. the calculation menu. It is so obscure it does not even appear as a standard menu item and must be turned on in the Work Environment to access (as in Dwight's attachment above). It is truly a beast and requires many frustrating hours to get anywhere. You can download a user manual at the link below. It's about as good as it gets to give direction, but it is painful. You can also download a "sample" material list from my web site (under any plan) to see what it can do. I can do a lot, but it's very painful. Perhaps AC11 will address this much requested wish to redesign it's functionality.

May the force be with you.. you will need it.

http://www.thompsonplans.com/files/TappingCalcMenu.pdf
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Dwight
Newcomer
The Calculate issues are long-term annoyances, in part because we are not quantity surveyors. It's like having rendering capability but not understanding that there is no such thing as white. Ugly rendering = Useless Quantity Take-Off.

I remember my first Archicad University, where some poor Brit tried to explain how to use the function. This was when the Menu was REALLY BAD. No template help, even. Everybody went. Other (empty) session's instructors even came. The room was overfull. Standing room only during an afternoon following the pub lunch. All the guys were angry. If they were Americans, there would have been a lynching. But they were Brits so they just mumbled, fumed and shuffled their feet.The Hungarians, a delegation from headquarters, were lighting pitchforks and stabbing each other in shame. It was confusing. They were all called Zoltan.

I use the schedule for most ordinary things, but it is most useful when counting parking spaces and the like.

The killer is that to extract meaningful building quantities demands enormous quantity surveying experience and patience with meticulous specification description. I believe that while contractors CAN exploit these features (and do so in Graphisoft's Project Management applications) architects are best remaining with door and window schedules and using the calculate functions to merely compare relative material usage between alternative schemes. This is relatively easy to achieve once you have established a nominal volume/floor area value.
When architects need more, they wave their arms meaningfully (see avatar) and delegate.
Dwight Atkinson
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Hi,
I'm almost in the same situation as Jerome was. I just did some simple interactive schedules.. but now I'm trying to reeeeeally get into this "schedules and quantities world".
I'm in a detailing project and I'm concerned about what kind of attention should I have on my model, like having separate layers or materials, or I don't know what else. Any tip is VERY welcome since last Rick's post was not so cheering.... I know I have lots of reading ahead. I read the Calculation subject on Reference Guide, part of the AC 10 Calculation Guide and just downloaded Rick's material... but I still didn't get it very well. I tryed to look for some examples (I remember there were some .pla on GS site, and I just can't find them!!!!) so maybe I could learn with what people usually do. Well, I'll keep on reading...
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable