BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

MEP: Stand Alone Key or AC License-WIBU based?

Eduardo Bell
Contributor
Karl based on your earlier comment, do you know if a stand alone MEP license is possible? Our reseller is sure it cannot and needs to be tied to a particular AC-WIBU key. There is limited access through Teamworks but not the full use from multiple workstations as we really need. THX
"As noted in my original post, but perhaps to be clarified when the press release is made, it requires a separate license which can either be added to an existing WIBU keyplug, or placed on a separate keyplug. " Cheers, Karl
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
22 REPLIES 22
Shaun Coomber
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
If you have a single licence on a separate key, simply plugging and plugging the key is the simplest method. Otherwise, if you are connecting to the licence over the network, you can control which IP you connect to in the WIBU Control Panel:

http://archicadwiki.com/Managing%20users%20with%20WIBU%20key%20server#Method_1_-_from_clients_side
Shaun Coomber
Technical Support Team
Graphisoft
Budapest, Hungary

archicadwiki - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Erika wrote:
Shaun,
Suppodinh I am on a network and have been using the single MEP license. Now Laszlo also on my network, wants to use the MEP. How do I unload it from my workstation so he can use it?
Do I have to quite out of archicad or just go to my add-on manager within archicad and unload it?

Thanks,
Erika
In AC16: it doesn't look like the MEP Modeler is "unloadable" from the Add-On Manager. Is there any other way (other than having the person with the MEP license close out of AC so another can enable it) to unload it?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Eduardo Rolon
Have you tried the "enable" option under Help -> License Information…?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
ejrolon wrote:
Have you tried the "enable" option under Help -> License Information…?
Yes, but "Enable" only works if a license is available (thus, necessitating that the license holder exit out of AC, because there is no "Disable" option).
Eduardo Rolon
Laura you are correct (I also check on AC15 and it is the same).

I somehow remember an option to turn it off without having to close the file. I thought the enable button would switch.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
ejrolon wrote:
I somehow remember an option to turn it off without having to close the file.
Hence, my original question
Eduardo Bell
Contributor
Hi. I thought of chipping in since I have a problem that might be related.

I'm running my V16 full stand alone commercial license, along with a clients V15 full stand alone commercial license that has the MEP15 enabled. When I open an AC15 project in AC16, the MEP15 library parts show up but are not editable.

If an MEP item is selected, a yellow box with the legend: " This is a part of an unloaded element and cannot be edited ". Well, the MEP15 library is loaded and the wibu key plugged in...In fact I cannot even delete them. The only way of getting rid of them is by deleting the whole layer; very inconvenient since it is shared by other usable items.
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
Karl Ottenstein
Eduardo,

See this Wiki article (and other discussions here):
http://www.archicadwiki.com/MEP/FAQ

In particular:
How do I edit MEP elements in ArchiCAD without the add-on loaded?

If a project created in an MEP environment is reopened using ArchiCAD only (without MEP Modeler), the MEP objects are available, although locked for editing. If you wish to edit or move these elements, you must first unlock them individually (Edit > Locking > Unlock). Their MEP connection information is lost once you have edited them in a non-MEP Modeler environment and they behave as plain GDL objects in ArchiCAD.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Bell
Contributor
No kidding, so easy I'm embarrassed.
Thank you Karl!
Karl Ottenstein
You bet. The whole thing is pretty confusing (MEP objects show up using different tools depending on if you have an MEP license or not, this locking-for-your-protection business, etc). No reason to be embarrassed! 🙂

By the way ... need to post this in the proper place later ... the Wiki search function is now the best search out there for finding ArchiCAD related info. Uses Google Search and provides a tabbed result page to find 'hits' on the Wiki, ac-talk or the Graphisoft main site. Super useful.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!