Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Please, just upgrade to Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard

Chazz
Enthusiast
It's not all good but the good so OVERWHELMINGLY trounces the not so good that you owe it to yourself to upgrade. Please people, don't make me beg. Just order it and load it and then lock the door for 2 hours and explore it. I can honestly say that upgrading two machines to Leopard was more satisfying than the halloween party I attended last night (and it was a pretty good party).
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
9 REPLIES 9
Rick Thompson
Expert
I sorta agree. I did get a blue screen of death after I installed on my dual G5, but that was easily fixed (and could have bee avoided) by installing as "archive and install". Some system enhancers are causing this start up to blue issue. I have a ATI card that came with "Application Enhancer" that is not compatible. Then, my internet speed bottomed out from 700-900 kbps to 100-200 kbps. After spending 3 hours yesterday on the phone with Apple, with no solution, I found a lot of people with this issue on the Apple discussion. What seems to have fixed it for me was opening Airport Express and changing the Multicast rate to max, which is 11. It was at 2. Now speeds are 600 or so. THere seems to be some issue with some computers. Mainly G4's and G5's. I had none of this happen on my MacBook Pro.

I love it too. PLN's seems much quicker opening. I would normally get a lot of waiting spinning balls while AC was opening and going through drawing manager etc., but not now. I had to reinstall USB overdrive. I like to have the side buttons on the Mighty Mouse set to delete, and I couldn't make Apples mouse panel do that. But, it works fine now. Archive and install removes those system enhancer apps.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Eduardo Rolon
NEGATIVITY?

Common… let them suffer with Tiger.

Recommended ACTIONS

- Use Carbon Copy Cloner (If you don't have Superduper) to clone your existing HD and create a backup.

- Disconnect all external hard disks after verifying that you can boot from the clone.

-Verify that You have not installed any Logitech Drivers (Main reason for failed installs) The culprit is a program by Unsanity call APE (Application Enhancer) that comes bundled with Logitech Drivers and/or the famous Haxies.

daringfireball.net/2007/10/blue_in_the_face

- If you use Artlantis you have to wait since it does not work at this time.

-Adobe informed that Acrobat might give problems, though I tried it and it seemed to work.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
Yeah, I had caught that Blue Screen issue in the forums and nuked my app enhancers prior to taking the plunge. I can't really blame Apple for this. Heat seekers sometimes get burned. The bandwidth choke is odd and disturbing though. Also some noise in the NY Times and elsewhere this morning of compromised security under Leopard but for a .0 release I'm still mostly impressed.
Djordje
Ace
Well ...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19460

I am on XP and staying on it as long as I can; it seems that Leopard is not recommended for some time at least.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Well ...

I am on XP and staying on it as long as I can; it seems that Leopard is not recommended for some time at least.
I too usually wait a few months (at least) before upgrading my Windows. With MacOS it is usually a few days 😉
Rick Thompson
Expert
Matthew wrote:
I too usually wait a few months (at least) before upgrading my Windows. With MacOS it is usually a few days 😉
I like that sprit.. dam the torpedos, full speed ahead.

(AC is quicker opening and checking external files with Leopard. I was getting beach balls and waiting...now now it just opens.)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Djordje wrote:
Well ...

I haven't seen any reported problems yet, and haven't found any myself (other than the bugs that were there to start with )

It's certainly safer to await a definitive response from GS, but so far it seems OK.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Chazz
Enthusiast
and this:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19733&highlight=

But the people who are running the WIBU Server Software are not going to be the first on the bus with Leopard anyway.
I installed it on its release day. I used the update feature as opposed to any other method. Laptop had the blue screen of death. Called up Apple and they had no clue what was causing it (since it was so close to the release--later determined to be app enhancers). But, they did recommend the archive method.

At any rate, all machines from G4s to G5s to MacTel Minis and a MacBook Pros were running sluggish. Beach balls everywhere driving me nuts. Lots of crashing, etc.

So, I reinstalled on all machines last weekend (and it took the whole weekend) using the shotgun method... wiped the drive clean and installed from scratch. I reinstalled most apps from the installers as well instead of copying over of system/library files.

Took me a while to do it to 5 computers, but it was worth it... They fly!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System