Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

SketchUp 7 is out

Eduardo Rolon
sketchup

Now with "BIM" capabilities.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

33 REPLIES 33
Dennis Lee
Booster
I was a big sketchup user prior to switching to ArchiCAD as well, but since then I have drastically cut down my sketchup use. It is quite difficult to be well versed in two programs at the same time for me, and cuts down on the efficiency. Since AC is the more complete package for what I do (architecture), I think I'm on the right path.

On a side note, the beauty of sketch up is like its name suggests, as an easy to use 3d sketch / presentation tool for those types of people who stay in the realm of schematic design. You can add this and that to that, but in the end, it will lose its essence, and become a mediocre bim, mediocre cad package IMHO.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
i've tried to use sketchup, as dwright said, it may be an art tool, and it is not totally for architectural modeling or documentations, so I rarely use it.

I do think it is fun to make some conceptual model or art piece.

p.s. dennis , handling 2 programs is not efficient. for me, it is hard to use wheel button for orbit and shift+wheel button for pan. (reverse from archicad) -.-
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lennox wrote:
Braza wrote:
Each SketchUp new release makes me think that GS has to pull a big rabbit out off the hat very quickly...
why the jaws hyperlink? am I missing something?
Just a little metaphor...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bet Sketchup 7 has no problems exporting to Google Earth. Between Autodesk / Revit buying everything and Google having considerable resources I'm beginning to believe using ArchiCAD is planting oneself on a marooned island. Anyhow this is the real "coming soon"...not the BS that Graphisoft puts on its products page. Simply put I will no longer recommend ArchiCAD to anyone in the market.

Cheers, Gilligan

ArchiCAD 12 build 2325 usa full
windows XPsp3
Anonymous
Not applicable
i really hope archicad could adapt some advantage in sketchup.

the dimension tool and the annotation in sketchup (is it powerful than 3D documentation in AC?)

and i love that section tool in SU so much (AC must learn it!!!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
After watching the MEP Modeler Videos, I feel we can expect some major path breaking changes in the next release or two
stefan
Expert
angus wrote:
p.s. dennis , handling 2 programs is not efficient. for me, it is hard to use wheel button for orbit and shift+wheel button for pan. (reverse from archicad) -.-
I switch applications all the time: ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Artlantis, Cinema4D... It is sometimes about half a minute or so to get back to the regular navigation shortcuts, but after that, I don't feel hindered.
And I'm learning Blender, Rhino, Revit and some MicroStation and VectorWorks too.

I would never stick to a single tool. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I'm not into architectural practice anymore.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Dennis Lee
Booster
stefan wrote:
angus wrote:
I switch applications all the time: ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Artlantis, Cinema4D... It is sometimes about half a minute or so to get back to the regular navigation shortcuts, but after that, I don't feel hindered.
And I'm learning Blender, Rhino, Revit and some MicroStation and VectorWorks too.

I would never stick to a single tool. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but I'm not into architectural practice anymore.
Hats off to you. For me, since I am still learning the full capabilities of ArchiCAD, if I keep leaning on Sketchup or other software to do something custom, I will not investigate how to do it in ArchiCAD.

From my experience, learning how to do in in AC has been more productive so far, than doing it in Sketchup or other program, experiment how to export, import, etc., etc..
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dynamic components are what components should be. This is a very simple idea, that every one here surely had and written about it, but GS never thought is was important. Generally GDL is outdated.

As for patents , i am not familiar with US legislation and pattending, but i wonder how you manage to patent the obvious? Patents should be for important ideas, novel approaches and not obvious stuff.

Thx god breathing air is not patented (yet)
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl wrote:
It's kind of a shame for the AC community that the benefits of the new dynamic components are so very similar to GDL Objects, and yet Graphisoft did not 'corner the market' with patents when they might have had a chance. Had GS offered the kind of object-creation interface that Google provides in SU 7, they would be seeing patent revenue that would provide funds to fix many of our other wishes for ArchiCAD.
Under that logic, Revit could not have made it's family editor either.

Somehow I doubt any patent Graphisoft filed would have caused another software company to have to pay them to use it.
Tom Waltz