Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Thickness of material as property (heat loss calculation)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I am looking for an option to get as a property for the thickness of materials in Property manager.
It is possible in schedules, but not in properties. Or can't I find it in the list?
I thank you for each tips for this problem.

I can image as a solution this strategy:
Create a extension for "thickness of a wall" minus "thickness of this wall's insulation". But I don't get, how Archicad that this particular layer in the wall is a insulation.

I need it for the heat loos calculation using materials' properties. If you have other solution, please tell me it 🙂

Best wishes
Alex
5 REPLIES 5
poco2013
Mentor
I don't know of any way to do as you suggest? Properties are restricted to a single element only and their available parameters only return a single value or record.

An alternate to consider would be to add a property to each wall type with which you could add the info - thickness, composite, position, etc. in manually, then "dig" that out in your expression. OR, you could embed that info in the description of your composite and knowing the position of that info, use that in your calcs.

The new Python feature, maybe next year or thereafter, may provide some relief, but Graphisoft is not that far thinking and this does not seem like something they would make available outside of the API.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply. I think it's a bit strange, that there is an option to add this option to schedule (which have almost all properties), but not in properties...
poco2013 wrote:
I don't know of any way to do as you suggest? Properties are restricted to a single element only and their available parameters only return a single value or record.

An alternate to consider would be to add a property to each wall type with which you could add the info - thickness, composite, position, etc. in manually, then "dig" that out in your expression. OR, you could embed that info in the description of your composite and knowing the position of that info, use that in your calcs.

The new Python feature, maybe next year or thereafter, may provide some relief, but Graphisoft is not that far thinking and this does not seem like something they would make available outside of the API.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember that we tested it in beta versions and got an explanation for it but I can't remember where. As far as I remember there was setting wich classified whats insulation and whats not based on Building Material name. So theoretically if you use same naming convention as in AC templet it should do the trick.

The other way is to export schedule to excel and do calcs and put it back to AC Property. No coding needed.
ash4ever wrote:
I need it for the heat loos calculation using materials' properties. If you have other solution, please tell me it 🙂
There are no doubt other solutions for (heat loss calculations) based on what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. If you could be more specific about that, I think you might get some really good suggestions.

For example, if what you are ultimately after are heat loss calculations for a building - for the sake of Energy Code compliance and Building Permit forms... you can make Interactive Schedules that will generate the data you need to fill out those forms ( ResCheck/ComCheck https://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck ) in the same order the the forms are filled out.
That is just one example.
What is it that you want to make heat loss calculations for ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, you can try Energy Evaluation in AC.

Energy Plus is usually standard solution if you are thinking of other solution. There is plenty of different implementations across various software. It's also free to use.