Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archaic

Gdl is Archicad. If you can't gdl then you can only pretend to Archicad.

Anything you can do gdl already did and can do better. The question isn't of it can but can you actually understand? For all potential architects? Shouldn't we all know basic trigonometric functions in math relative to our design medium? I mean come on the entirety of a home design is just math right?

6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I think GDL is somewhat based on BASIC, which is something I learnt to program in growing up in the 80s. I have no idea how complex it is for people without that background.

We mostly use it for parametric door panels. The Dutch subscription library is fairly complete and complexprofiles get us around the more detailed parts for 1:50 sections where the library might be failing.

Are you stuck with the 'default' library? Because I can see that this is quite lacking, since all the additional library parts that are developed by the Dutch Reseller are easily recognisable by name and we have a LOT of them.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
mthd
Mentor

Yes it is just mathematics and geometry and yes GDL is the key to Archicad and because I can’t  script, I rely heavily on CI tools to help me get my work done.

We did Basics computer language in my first year at technical school in 1984 but I couldn’t write one line of script. Logging onto the computer with a pass word was as far as I got lol. We weren’t expected to write script but just to learn the how computers would help our work in the future. If we used a spread sheet back then, that was progress.

I did design trusses and roof layouts with a Bostich timber framing program in 1987 back when it was all DOS.

I started out hand drawing all my plans and used “Brain CAD” if you know what I mean ?

I watched a video on the extreme basics of Rhino & Grasshopper that works inside it. That was enough for me. I see that PARAM-O is supposed to provide a node based graphic language interface for idiots like me who can’t understand scripting or too lazy to learn it.

If you have brilliant mind and you can script you can Archicad better than most of us.

I was playing the Star Wars gaming machine in an arcade as teenager in the mid 80’s and that was quite advanced for that time.

Definitely Archaic ! A 3D gaming software virtual building experience is where Archicad should be at by now. No mouse just a 3D screen goggles and move your hands in mid space to model your design up in. 

Good topic and I want to see what others have to say.

Archicad 100.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Djordje
Ace

I have seen graduate architects not being able to solve a complex sloped roof, even with Archicad.

Yes, if you went to architectural school in 1980s, and especially if it were architectural engineering (not very well known in the US, but very well known in Europe...), you definitely know your math, geometry and all that is left is a bit of BASIC like programming.

Regretfully, most of the younger generation's eyes glazed over when trigonometry was mentioned...

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace

and a useful post, instead of Grumpy Boomer post I did:

find the GDL CookBook by David Nicholson Cole. It still floats online and is free. There are others, but this one will teach you the basics AT LEAST.

Djordje

HP Omen
mthd
Mentor

Thank you for that reference and I am very interested in seeing that resource. I have had a quick look at some geometric coding but I found it to be quite difficult to understand.

There are some very bright individuals who use Archicad and who can understand and write script.

Writing algorithms is not for the faint hearted and it’s a gift that not all of us posses.

I am definitely happy to just learn the basics and use any useful add ons that are available and applicable to my workflow.

Can anyone here understand why the Archicad code does not to stop it from stacking elements right inside of each other or is that a desirable outcome for complex modeling tasks ? It’s been like that for years and it hasn't been updated or changed. Other CAD apps will not let you stack elements in the same space. There has to be some logical reason for not changing that code behavior ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Djordje
Ace

The GDL CookBook link is here, via BTSquarePeg (another good GDL resource, by @vistasp) https://www.btsquarepeg.com/2008/03/11/download-gdl-cookbook-4-pdf/

Also as Google Doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pzYnhHXr9DEHjTo1YBw-wS_r7bUWMzhrWP5md-tUAds/preview?pli=1

Djordje

HP Omen