Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Auto-text within notes in ArchiCAD?

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Here's a question for the GDL gurus out there. Now that we have all these auto-text features in AC and PM, is there a way to have auto-text show in AC notes?

For example, my text block says, "Bla bla bla. Refer to Section <x> on Sheet <y>." Where <x> and <y> are linked to a particular S/E or Detail window and report it's position in PM.

Here hoping!
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
This could be done with the detail tool by using a special library part, but not AFAIK with the section tool. You cannot make multiple references to the same section window as you can with the detail tool. Also, the detail tool is inactive in the detail windows, so cross references aren't possible.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Would it be possible to devise a system whereby a remote object is placed in the view to be referenced that in turn links to the auto-text?
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
Here's a question for the GDL gurus out there. Now that we have all these auto-text features in AC and PM, is there a way to have auto-text show in AC notes?

For example, my text block says, "Bla bla bla. Refer to Section <x> on Sheet <y>." Where <x> and <y> are linked to a particular S/E or Detail window and report it's position in PM.

Here hoping!
It is possible with a workaround (no GDL required). But it's not pretty. I'll post more info about it tomorrow when I have AC/PM at my disposal.

But in the mean time, go to Plotmaker. Create your autotext. Select it, highlight and copy to the clipboard. Go to ArchiCAD. Paste. It looks UGLY in ArchiCAD, but if you only care about what it looks in PM then it should suffice.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Alex, wow, how did you figure all this out? However you did it I hope it makes it over to the tips section!

Obviously the wish is that GS makes this easier, and that seems very possible. In the mean time, could GDL be used to create a less obtrusive place-holder? The section markers let you hide the auto-text place-holder completely.

That in turn leads me back to my earlier question of whether there is a GDL mechanism that could accomplish the whole operation within AC.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Djordje
Ace
Geoff wrote:
Alex, wow, how did you figure all this out? However you did it I hope it makes it over to the tips section!
Alex's excellent (as usual, should we say?) tip is at

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=625
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
You can do the thing, that Alex describes, with GDL-Objects too.
If You make an Object and put
TEXT2 0,0,"<LAYOUTNAME>"
in the 2D-Script, place the object in plan,
import the pln-file in Plotmaker, the autotext still works. Wow!
Joachim Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 13.5 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de