Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Columns cannot be Zone Boundary?

Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi Community.

I would like a design where Columns are part of the interior partition between rooms, and thus Zones.

However, even though Columns have the option to be set as "Zone Boundary" The Zone Tool will not recognize a closed Polygon, if The Columns are part of the enclosed geometry!

If Walls are stretched through the Columns, then of course Zone Tool will see the Walls Reference Line as the enclosed Polygon. If Columns are set as "Zone Boundary" however, the Zone will automatically be designed "around" the Column geometry, which makes sence.

In this Particulat case, I would like to have Curtain Walls span between the interior Columns, and take use of the automatic generated (and Updated) Zones - Is that even possible without having the Wall/Curtain running through the Column? -   

...Or am I misunderstanding the "Zone Boundary" options in the Column Tool ?

Cheers Thomas

Underneath a render of the interior Columns as they should be a part of the Zone Boundary

Interior Columns.png

Column Zone 01.jpgColumn Zone walls not intersecting.jpgZonetool unable to detect Boundary.jpg
ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

It would seem you are correct in your assumption, the help says:

A Wall or Curtain Wall inside the Zone, if set to “Zone Boundary”, delimits the zone. Thus, the Zone boundary extends up until the Wall/Curtain Wall. If the Wall/Curtain Wall is slanted, the zone’s geometry is slanted accordingly.

• The Wall/Curtain Wall, if located inside the zone area, is not included in the Measured Area (Zone parameter).
  • A vertical Column set to “Zone Boundary” is not included in the Measured Area (Zone parameter).
  • A slanted Column cannot be set to “Zone Boundary”. For a slanted Column, use the Subtract from Zone setting.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I never could get this to work either. I had to resort to using a polyline set as zone boundary on the parts of the room that were using collumns and glass facade to get zones to update automatically.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi Erwin...  And that is excactly what I want to avoid 😉

ASUS ROG I9 12900H 🙂 - RTX 3080ti (16GB) - 32 GB RAM - Ryzen 7 1700X 3,8GHz. - GTX 1080ti 11 GB- 16GB RAM
AC 13 +
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I know, just saying, as far as I know you're not doing anything 'wrong', it's just that Archicad won't behave as one would expect.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly

I am guessing it is because a column does not have a linear aspect to it.

Lines, polylines, walls are all linear and can be zone boundaries.

Yes a column has a length and width but it is not the same thing, a column can be literally any shape.

They have an area and volume that can affect zones, but no length to be used as a boundary.

That's my best guess.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Hi Barry, Im guessing that too, however It would be very nice, and since there is a feature called "Zone Boundary" I need to check whether my mision could accomplished, or not at all! 🙂

AC 13 +
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

It would seem you are correct in your assumption, the help says:

A Wall or Curtain Wall inside the Zone, if set to “Zone Boundary”, delimits the zone. Thus, the Zone boundary extends up until the Wall/Curtain Wall. If the Wall/Curtain Wall is slanted, the zone’s geometry is slanted accordingly.

• The Wall/Curtain Wall, if located inside the zone area, is not included in the Measured Area (Zone parameter).
  • A vertical Column set to “Zone Boundary” is not included in the Measured Area (Zone parameter).
  • A slanted Column cannot be set to “Zone Boundary”. For a slanted Column, use the Subtract from Zone setting.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Thomas Nymann
Enthusiast

Thanks for clarfying Erwin...  I should have read that piece in the manual before starting this topic... 😞

AC 13 +