Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Complex Profile Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to make a wall with a 1000mm high block base with timber stud above which has a weatherboard finish. I am fine creating this however I am running into an issue ive had before and never figured out the correct solution to.
Profile shown to give you an idea:

Now when I place doors/windows on this wall they are showing correct on the floor plans however they look wrong in 3d and elevations/sections. Adding a reveal seems to help but then that messes up the floor plan view pushing the windows further inside.

Id really love for the floor plans to stay as they are now but the elevations/3d to not have this issue going through it all, yet id like to have the wall automatically cut the openings for the windows/doors too.

Is there a way to show all the information correct without having to do separate walls and cutting holes in them for the low block wall around the outside?
Hope this makes sense.

Reference images:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Just playing with this a little more.
You can stagger the opening reference line to follow the contour of your wall.

This way the window position in 3D will follow this opening reference position.
It does depend on whether you have the window anchor set to head or sill too, as that is what will anchor to the opening reference line.

Still the 2D view of the window will only be accurate if you have it set to 'Projected' or 'Projected with Overhead'.

I still wish the 'Symbolic' floor plan view could offset from the reference line as well - that would be perfect.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Funny, I was literally just revisiting this problem myself.
I originally posted about it here.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62812

The problem is in 3D (section & elevation), the window reveal is offset from the opening line reference in the complex profile.
The 'Symbolic' floor plan display view of the window does not match this 3D position.
You need to switch the floor plan display of the window to 'Projected with overhead' so it matches the 3D.
Problem is this looks awful in plan - I want to see the window with the symbolic 2D view.

I am playing around at the moment adding an offset parameter in 2D, so I can match the 2D symbolic position with the 3D position.
It seems to be working so far, but I have my own custom windows so there is no problem in me editing the scripts.

You could try adjusting the position of the opening reference line in the complex profile.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Funny, I was literally just revisiting this problem myself.
I originally posted about it here.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62812

The problem is in 3D (section & elevation), the window reveal is offset from the opening line reference in the complex profile.
The 'Symbolic' floor plan display view of the window does not match this 3D position.
You need to switch the floor plan display of the window to 'Projected with overhead' so it matches the 3D.
Problem is this looks awful in plan - I want to see the window with the symbolic 2D view.

I am playing around at the moment adding an offset parameter in 2D, so I can match the 2D symbolic position with the 3D position.
It seems to be working so far, but I have my own custom windows so there is no problem in me editing the scripts.

You could try adjusting the position of the opening reference line in the complex profile.

Barry.
Thanks for that Barry.

Ive always ended up doing it with an extra wall and cutting openings for it but was hoping maybe there was a better solution.

What do you mean by adjusting the position of the opening reference line in the complex profile, could you help me in what I need to do for that? I have little experience with the modifiers in complex profiles.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Its in the Profile Manager.
You make it active with the checkbox, then adjust the lines within the profile on the right position.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
You make it active with the checkbox, then adjust the lines within the profile on the right position.
Thanks Barry.

One last question, how would you go about having a glass corner window on one of these walls, the tool doesnt seem to work on custom profiles.
Barry Kelly
nonco wrote:
Braza wrote:
Thanks Barry.

One last question, how would you go about having a glass corner window on one of these walls, the tool doesnt seem to work on custom profiles.

That was actually Braza.
Sometimes however I am called Bazza.

I don't actually use the default GS windows as I have my own custom objects.
I know the GS winows have corner options, do these not work at all in the complex profile wall?
I am not talking about the corner window tool, just the corner options in the windows themselves.
Add two windows, set the corner options and then move them together to make the join.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Solution
Barry Kelly

It does depend on whether you have the window anchor set to head or sill too, as that is what will anchor to the opening reference line.

Still the 2D view of the window will only be accurate if you have it set to 'Projected' or 'Projected with Overhead'.

I still wish the 'Symbolic' floor plan view could offset from the reference line as well - that would be perfect.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
nonco wrote:
Braza wrote:
Thanks Barry.

That was actually Braza.
Sometimes however I am called Bazza.

I don't actually use the default GS windows as I have my own custom objects.
I know the GS winows have corner options, do these not work at all in the complex profile wall?
I am not talking about the corner window tool, just the corner options in the windows themselves.
Add two windows, set the corner options and then move them together to make the join.

Barry.
Whoops, was still a bit tired when reading it, my mistake.

It was giving me some errors before but trying your way with just changing the corner options is working for me now thanks. For some reason it wasnt showing Glass as an option when I was trying earlier but is okay now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

opening_reference_4.jpg

Barry.
Yeah I tried staggering it and was causing some issues that I might be able to fix but just changing the line even being straight seems to give me the desired outcome I was looking for if I turn off outside casing. Might not be completely perfect not showing casing but for what I need it does the job great thanks