BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Create new windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm still not familiar with creating library parts, doors, windows, etc. in AC 8.

I've drawn my new door lying down with slabs, and now I'm looking at it in my 3D window from a parallel side view at 90 degrees... How do I save that as my door? Is it a GDL object?
10 REPLIES 10
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Luc_M wrote:
Hi,

I'm still not familiar with creating library parts, doors, windows, etc. in AC 8.

I've drawn my new door lying down with slabs, and now I'm looking at it in my 3D window from a parallel side view at 90 degrees... How do I save that as my door? Is it a GDL object?
It depends on what version of ArchiCAD you are using. It's a little different from ArchiCAD 7.0 to ArchiCAD 8..

If it's ArchiCAD 8 once you have you ortho view set right. From the 3D window take file GDL objects and then save 3D model as.
You will then get up a dialog box asking were and under what name you wish to save it.
After that you will get 1 more dialog box. In this box you have 3 alternatives. 1. Is a normal library part. 2. Is a window and 3 is for a door. You can also choose if you want to save it as binary or editable GDL. You can also choose to remove redundant lines, which is the default, so I recommend that you leave as it is..
Once you have done this you can go back to plan choose you door tool and place you door into your wall..

Please not if the door is an odd shape you will have to go into the GDL script and play with the wallhole command..
Other wise it's plain sailing..

Hope this helps ..
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben!

Works like a charm!

The only thing I noticed a bit different, is that your window absolutely has to be at 0,0,0 when you do your 3D view before you save, otherwise, the windows are waaaaay outside the wall =O)

Thanks again!
Luc
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Hi Luc.
No problem. So I forgot to mention that it's also important to have your window/door at 0,0,0

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Karl Ottenstein
Excellent, David. I remember reading your tutorial on the old list, but the image makes it come to life. Will be passing it along.

What a fantastic example of the power of this new forum - to finally have images to go with such a tutorial/tip!

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje,
this one should be in the Archiguide (if it isn't already)

Thomas
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
Luc_M wrote:
Thanks Ben!

Works like a charm!

The only thing I noticed a bit different, is that your window absolutely has to be at 0,0,0 when you do your 3D view before you save, otherwise, the windows are waaaaay outside the wall =O)

Thanks again!
Luc
Whatever objects you create by slabbing and walling, it is adisvable to do it on the origin. Start form the obviously logical insertion point as the origin.

Doors and windows - the origin HAS TO be in the middle of the bottom, and the door/window body HAS TO be "under" the xy plane.

My ADV for this week:

I suggest to take a look at OMWAC - one of the excellent books, Object Making With ArchiCAD, by DNC. Good prequel to the GDL Cookbook.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
Djordje,
this one should be in the Archiguide (if it isn't already)

Thomas
Agreed; David forgot the status codes I think.

It is going to Tips&Tricks ... no, not now
Djordje

HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Great tutorial David. Thanks for sharing it with us...
Ben O'Donnell
Djordje
Ace
Ben wrote:
Great tutorial David. Thanks for sharing it with us...
Now it is at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=211
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!