BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphic Override problem

I just downloaded and installed the 5011 update to AC20, mostly in response to "215625 MODEL: "Show on Renovation Filter" couldn't be added as a graphic override criteria."

I'm thinking, great, they got this fixed so now I CAN add the renovation filter as a graphic override filter. However, it appears that the GS solution was just to eliminate Renovation Filters from GO's. (?!)

I want to do a very simple thing. Show NEW composite walls as a single solid fill in plan without changing other fills for other cut elements. I don't see how to do this since I can't isolate Walls as an element type in the Renovation Filters, and I can't isolate NEW items in G.O.'s. Suggestions?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
9 REPLIES 9
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Richard:

I accomplished something similar by using the Element ID as a criteria (does not need to be the entire ID, there are options for using part of the ID).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Thanks, David. In this case, I'm trying to get fills for sections of walls that have been automatically filled in by the removal of window and doors, so they are part of a single existing wall. I don't think there is a separate ID for these, unless I've missed something. (Which is possible, of course.) This seems like such a basic thing, that I'm very surprised it seems so difficult.

I haven't spent a huge amount of time on GO's, but maybe the solution is to use Renovation Filters to turn ALL cut fills to what I want, and then turn everything BUT walls back to their original using GO's. This seems like the wrong way to do it, though.
Richard
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Richard,

I think "Renovation Status" will not be available as a GO (Graphic Override) Rule Criteria because if it were, there could be clashes between overrides applied by the GO Rule and overrides applied by the Reno Filter.
Also, Reno Filter overrides are applied only when the Reno Filter is set to "Override" for element with "New" Reno Status, which means it is not controlled from the GO Dialog. This means that even if you defined a GO Rule Criteria which had "Reno Status" as one of the values in its definition, you would still not see the result, if the Reno Filter Dialog had the "Show" value set for "New" elements. Also, if the Reno Filter Dialog had the "Override" value set for "New" elements, not only your "New" Walls would be overridden, but all "New" elements, which I think is not what you want. So and override is applied to all "New" elements or none.
I think the technology behind how Reno Statuses and Filters work would have to be changed to make this possible, and I don't know if GRAPHISOFT would want to do that.

I think there are solution just as good. Using the Element ID is one such solution. Since the Element ID in many cases is used for other purposes, I would probably create a new Property for Walls in the Property Manager Dialog, give it a distinguishable name ("Renovation Phase" or something similar), define an Option Set for it ("Existing", "To be Demolished", "New" or whatever you wish) and use that Wall Property as criteria in my GO Rule.

Regarding your need to fill only portions of Walls: I don't think there is any automatic solution to that because overrides can override only whole elements, but not portions of elements or only skins of composite or complex elements.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Richard:

The Renovation Filters can be overridden by other Rules, but I am not clear about what you are trying to accomplish. Try posting an image with notes, maybe someone will have a solution.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Fortunately, I was wrong. The "Renovation Status" parameter of elements is now available as Graphic Override Criterion in the Graphic Override Rules Dialog of ARCHICAD 21:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/archicad-21-small-improvements/#Use_Renovation_Statu...

laszlonagy wrote:
Richard,

I think "Renovation Status" will not be available as a GO (Graphic Override) Rule Criteria because if it were, there could be clashes between overrides applied by the GO Rule and overrides applied by the Reno Filter.
Also, Reno Filter overrides are applied only when the Reno Filter is set to "Override" for element with "New" Reno Status, which means it is not controlled from the GO Dialog. This means that even if you defined a GO Rule Criteria which had "Reno Status" as one of the values in its definition, you would still not see the result, if the Reno Filter Dialog had the "Show" value set for "New" elements. Also, if the Reno Filter Dialog had the "Override" value set for "New" elements, not only your "New" Walls would be overridden, but all "New" elements, which I think is not what you want. So and override is applied to all "New" elements or none.
I think the technology behind how Reno Statuses and Filters work would have to be changed to make this possible, and I don't know if GRAPHISOFT would want to do that.

I think there are solution just as good. Using the Element ID is one such solution. Since the Element ID in many cases is used for other purposes, I would probably create a new Property for Walls in the Property Manager Dialog, give it a distinguishable name ("Renovation Phase" or something similar), define an Option Set for it ("Existing", "To be Demolished", "New" or whatever you wish) and use that Wall Property as criteria in my GO Rule.

Regarding your need to fill only portions of Walls: I don't think there is any automatic solution to that because overrides can override only whole elements, but not portions of elements or only skins of composite or complex elements.
Thanks, Laszlo! This issue had fallen off my radar, and I missed this subtle (but important) new feature. I'm amazed and impressed that you were able to find and come back to this issue!
Richard
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It was not very hard, Google found it for me as well as all 3 others where this was mentioned.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So do I understand this solution correctly, in that, it requires defining a new property and then essentially having to nominate the renovation status for each item twice? Is there an automatic solution that only requires setting the renovation status once?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No, since ARCHICAD 21, the "Renovation Status" parameter of elements is available as Graphic Override Criterion in the Graphic Override Rules Dialog, so you can use that.
The previous workaround was for cases before that became available.
Learn and get certified!