Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

How to control HLM elements intersection with host file elements?

Hotlink modules are placed on a master layer. This allows for overriding the visibility of all layers in the HLM but not intersection group. Is there a reason for this that I am missing?

Since elements from modules are placed on the same layers as elements in the host file - what is the best way to control the intersection of these? Specifically what is the best way to avoid the intersection of elements from a module on a hidden master layer and elements in the host file on a shown layer?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Brendon Reid
Booster

Hi thesleepofreason

You could use a separate 'Master' Layer (i.e. 'Module A', 'Module B', 'Module C') to host each Module. These Layers have their own Layer Intersection Group numbers, providing complete control over whether the elements in each Module intersect with other Modules and the elements inherent in the host file.

E.g. Suppose you have wall elements placed on the 'Wall' Layer in each of the Modules and the host file. Each Module is placed into the host file on its own 'Master' Layer (i.e. 'Module A', 'Module B', 'Module C'). All Layers have the same Layer Intersection Group number '1'. All elements will intersect (regardless of the Layer's visibility). If you change one of the 'master' Layers (i.e. 'Module A') Layer Intersection Group numbers to '2', then the walls placed in that Module will no longer intersect with any of the other elements. If you change the 'Wall' Layer's Layer Intersection Group number to '3', then all walls (regardless of their 'Master' Layer), will no longer intersect with any elements placed on any other Layer, unless their Layer Intersection Group number is also set to '3'.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks
Brendon
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), i9, 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur, Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
Archicad User since 1994

View solution in original post

Solution

Hi Brendon! 

I did use a separate master layer and I did change it's intersection group number. But since I didn't want any intersection at all for the module I naturally set it to 0 - which doesn't seem to work and I must have been sloppy when testing and not used another non-active group number. Because doing that resolves the issue.

So thanks for your response which pointed this out. The new, and less important, question is why it doesn't work as expected when using 0.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Brendon Reid
Booster

Hi thesleepofreason

You could use a separate 'Master' Layer (i.e. 'Module A', 'Module B', 'Module C') to host each Module. These Layers have their own Layer Intersection Group numbers, providing complete control over whether the elements in each Module intersect with other Modules and the elements inherent in the host file.

E.g. Suppose you have wall elements placed on the 'Wall' Layer in each of the Modules and the host file. Each Module is placed into the host file on its own 'Master' Layer (i.e. 'Module A', 'Module B', 'Module C'). All Layers have the same Layer Intersection Group number '1'. All elements will intersect (regardless of the Layer's visibility). If you change one of the 'master' Layers (i.e. 'Module A') Layer Intersection Group numbers to '2', then the walls placed in that Module will no longer intersect with any of the other elements. If you change the 'Wall' Layer's Layer Intersection Group number to '3', then all walls (regardless of their 'Master' Layer), will no longer intersect with any elements placed on any other Layer, unless their Layer Intersection Group number is also set to '3'.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

So it uses the Layer Visibility of the element layer, but the Layer Intersection Group of the Master Layer? That would have broken my projects, so probably not what you meant...

When you say "Master" Layer, you are not talking about the Hotlink Master Layer but renaming the layers in your hotlinks to include a prefix?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

No. I do mean the Layer(s) in your project that hosts the Module. I am suggesting instead of using only one Layer to host Modules, you use multiple ones.

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

Right. So, going back to your example, what happens if I have other walls that are on a layer with an Intersection Group of 2? Intersection Groups: Master A - 1, Wall A - 1, Wall B - 2 => Master A - 2, Wall A - 1, Wall B - 2

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Solution

Hi Brendon! 

I did use a separate master layer and I did change it's intersection group number. But since I didn't want any intersection at all for the module I naturally set it to 0 - which doesn't seem to work and I must have been sloppy when testing and not used another non-active group number. Because doing that resolves the issue.

So thanks for your response which pointed this out. The new, and less important, question is why it doesn't work as expected when using 0.