BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Object assigned to Zone

sarahric
Contributor
I would like to know how to assign an object or an element a zone. I have overlapping zones in a single storey. If I place an element in a location where there is an overlapping zone, it will assign to one of the zone. If it's the wrong zone then I can't change it. It doesn't seem to matter what the elevation is of the object. For example, I have the object at +400. It has linked to the zone called Subfloor which is at -400 to 0, but I want it to be linked to the zone Entry which is from 0 to +3000. It should be because of it's elevation, but this is not the case
Is there any way to assign the object to a zone?
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
2 REPLIES 2
dcerezo
Advocate

I have this issue as well. Surprised no one ever answered it yet. Any ideas.

ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This is a limitation in Archicad. It will look which Zone the Object is located to and that Zone's info with be returned in the "Related Zone" Schedule fields. However, if multiple Zones overlap, Archicad has no way of knowing which Zone you want to use so it is random which Zone's info will be used.

There is one specific case I can offer a solution to:

If you use Zones to model the gross area of a Story (and that causes overlapping Zones), I usually recommend that you should use Morphs to model those gross areas because the area of Morphs can be schedule by Story. This way, you will not have overlapping Zones and the issue is avoided. 

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!