BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Object position after workspace rotation

JGoode
Advocate
Hello,

I want to work out the position of my object in plan. This sounds simple enough however, I want to be able to be able to have the values in relation to the origin after the workspace has been rotated.

e.g object position is 0, 5000 when workspace is at 0 degrees but when rotated 90 degrees, it becomes 5000, 0 in relation to the origin.

How could I achieve this?

Thanks
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Use the View > Grid & Editing Plane Options > Set Rotated Grid menu command, and set the X-axis of the Rotated Grid by specifying the Grid Origin and another point. The coordinates in the Tracker will display X and Y coordinates based on the defined Rotated Grid.
You may also want to use the View > Construction Grid Display menu command so you see the Rotated Grid.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JGoode
Advocate
ah, this does what I want until the workspace is rotated unfortunately.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you keep rotating your Viewpoint? Then you would have to Set the Rotated Grid again each time the Viewpoint is rotated.

What you can do is Rotate the Viewpoint, Set the Rotated Grid, then save it as a View. Save a View for each combination of Viewpoint Rotation/Rotated Grid. Then just keep switching between them by restoring saved Views whenever needed. That way both the Viewpoint Rotation and the Rotated Grid will be restored when a saved View is activated.
JGoode
Advocate
Ah okay, is there any way to get my object to respond to the new x and y values? the track responds but my objects don't update
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In what way would you want your object to respond?
Move? Rotate? How should it respond?
I think the answer is no, but I am not sure I know exactly what you want to achieve.
Lingwisyer
Guru
JGoode wrote:
the track responds but my objects don't update

If you reload your the library the object is in, does it update? If so, it might be due to your object not rebuilding when something external to it is changing. You can try forcing it to rebuild by referencing something like the current view, (glob_context), in which case it should rebuild each time you open the specified view.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!