Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Morph editing unpredictable - pet palette not showing tools

alexliz23
Enthusiast

Please see video.

I'm modelling a metal pillar, with base and crown. I've added four rivet heads at the top, under the crown. I need to replicate them at the base.

To do that, I was hoping to select them in 3D, then rotate a copy so they turn upside-down, then lower the copied set down to match the top of the base. To have a vertical plane to execute this rotation, I created a simple Morph, then a Line Morph on it, so it gives me the middle point to which I can snap and perform the rotation.

This way, I figured, the mirrored set of rivets will be in exactly the same XY position to the original set of four rivets, which are at the top.

TWO PROBLEMS

First issue is that I can't use the Morph that is already there for the base or the crown of my pillar - for some reason I am not offered the Extrude tool in the pet palette. And yet a few moments ago I was offered the full palette. I haven't changed anything in those Morph elements. The very top Morph, in Oak finish, does allow me to Extrude.

I use the Eyedropper to create a new Morph off the pillar base. Oddly enough, that one does allow me to Extrude at will.

I then go ahead with the rotation of the copied rivets.

Second issue: the copied rivets are not rotated in the way I anticipated, resulting in an XY offset! I have to manually align them in Plan View.

I hope all this makes sense to someone and they can point me in the right direction.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
alexliz23
Enthusiast

The first of the 'two problems' above is no longer a mystery...

The reason the full pet-palette menu wasn't popping up was that the Morph was in a Group with the other Morph at the base of the pillar! So when I clicked on it in order to edit it, both Morphs were selected. I was missing that, jumping to the quick conclusion that something was not working properly.

I wasn't working properly, as it turns out...

The other problem, about the 4 grouped rivet Morphs not rotating perfectly symmetrically when I use a vertical plane, also seems to have been resolved today - even though I think I did exactly what I was doing yesterday. No idea what I am missing there, but all seems to work now...

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
alexliz23
Enthusiast

The first of the 'two problems' above is no longer a mystery...

The reason the full pet-palette menu wasn't popping up was that the Morph was in a Group with the other Morph at the base of the pillar! So when I clicked on it in order to edit it, both Morphs were selected. I was missing that, jumping to the quick conclusion that something was not working properly.

I wasn't working properly, as it turns out...

The other problem, about the 4 grouped rivet Morphs not rotating perfectly symmetrically when I use a vertical plane, also seems to have been resolved today - even though I think I did exactly what I was doing yesterday. No idea what I am missing there, but all seems to work now...

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
BrunoH
Expert

Hi,

You probably no how easy it's to create your pillar with the column tool.

Poteau.png

 Just add the rivets with  the "Dôme 27" object.

ArchiCad 3.43 to 26
MacOS Monterey

The rivets can even be a complex profile segment.

The only thing that can't be done in a segmented column is create the filleted connection of the baser/head to the column.

Square connection is not a problem, tapered or chamfered connection is not a problem, just can't do a filleted (curved) connection.

Not without a lot of tapered segments anyway.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alexliz23
Enthusiast

Exactly. Hence the Morph on this one, thanks Barry, Bruno.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma