Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slanted orientation and guide lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to the city planners, I am working with site which is in 0,439° angle from the coordinate system. I think that is a mistake in first place but it is what it is..

Well, I though it would be easy just save the rotation angle to the views but guide lines doesn't work at all. That 0,439 angle appears everywhere and makes working really frustrating.

How can I force guide lines to forget world coordinates? If the view angle is very close to to original orientation, it seems that guide lines doesn't recognize the difference.

I have tried to disable "vertical and horizontal" checkbox in settings but it doesn't work.
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Are you drawing using that small angle or is it a traced view of the site that has the proper north orientation?

I don't related my X + Y axis to any real world axis other than my building grid elements. You can set north orientation of your project.

If I have north orientated views, I generally have this as some 2D linework view on a worksheet.

Maybe this would help?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Are you drawing using that small angle or is it a traced view of the site that has the proper north orientation?

I don't related my X + Y axis to any real world axis other than my building grid elements. You can set north orientation of your project.

If I have north orientated views, I generally have this as some 2D linework view on a worksheet.

Maybe this would help?
I'm used to work in world orientation and use rotated views, I know that it is possible also rotate the true north in settings but usually there is more than one x-y-coordinate system in our projects so rotated views must be used anyway. I think it is easier to keep true north in straight up.

Maybe in this case that could be the solution, but still the behavior of guide lines feels weird.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
So Y axis is true north?

I suppose if the buildings aren't that rectangular to begin with...

I still would try to have Y axis be one of the most common grid axis in the project so you don't have these issues. It is very easy to setup project north in ArchiCAD. Options > Project Preferences > Set Project North. Seems like having complicated coordinate system for something as trivial as the true north. Surveying drawings generally aren't that accurate either, so when it comes to plotting out the grid on site things generally are a little bit different from drawing.

But to each their own, if this works for you I'm afraid the guidelines are not behaving well due to the slight angle indeed. And off-axis elements/lines/edges tend do spread around a project fast, from experience with slight angles in projects...
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm replying to my self, because the problem solved.

Guide lines seems to obey always the grid, even if it's not visible. And even if the relation to the grid is disabled in settings.

So if I rotate also the grid to the same angle than my view is, guide lines work how they should be.