BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Timber Stud Wall.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've been searching for a while how to draw timber stud walls in ArchiCAD. I would like the studs to show up at regular intervals in plan with insulation packed in between. And in section the header and sole plates should also be visible, again with insulation in between. Graphisoft support have said they don't know how to do it.

If there is a way to have it as a wall composite so that I can then add on extra skins, that would be ideal.

Cheers,

Calum
6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
There are 3rd party addons that do framing. You'll end up with objects. The wall accessories tool from ArchiCAD (help > downloads) might work too, not sure.

Personally I sometimes add the section frames to my complex profile walls. Plan view I just use patch fills. I never do quantity take off for these frames, so I have no real reason to model them.

You might also find something from a wall stud manufacturer on bimobject.com that might work. That will likely use the ArchiCAD accessories addon to.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Here is one I made earlier well a very long time ago..

Timber / Metal Framing

you insert it so it sits in the centre of an ArchiCAD wall composite with the correct stud width and layers of plasterboard then in plan or section you see the framing. You may need to correct the display order to get it to show the way you want.

There are a couple of glitches with the object and one day I hope to fix them but as yet it is "good enough for ukulele" as ukulele players say
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
DGSketcher
Legend
Depending on the accuracy of what you want to draw it should be possible to use the curtain wall tool for basic framing overlaid within your composite / complex wall profile, although the results are unlikely to be adequate for fabrication.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
RandyC
Advocate
You can make composite wall to show insulation, sheathing etc. then overlay it in section window with this library part. for more detail
snip.JPG
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
RandyC
Advocate
stud 6 attatchment
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Cheers Randy

Looks like your STud object is more sophisticated than mine. Well done
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Learn and get certified!