BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trimming Slanted Beams

hkrna
Enthusiast
Anybody has an idea how to trim two identical size beams, a horizontal and a slanted properly? No matter what I try the end cut plain remains vertical, so a small corner of the slanted beam sticks out. (the beams do not show continuous) I am no novice in AC, still I cant figure. Is it possible at all? Or I shall wait for the Morph tool?
Please see the image. I simply wish the two beams do what the thick black lines show.
Thanks.
ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
hkrna:

One solution is to use a Slab (or other element with a flat top surface) to SEO the notch on the bottom of the sloped beam, then put the Operator on a hidden layer.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
David wrote:
hkrna:

One solution is to use a Slab (or other element with a flat top surface)
or the roof tool, then the horizontal and sloped sections will meet correctly with no SEO required.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
hkrna
Enthusiast
Thanks guys. What you are suggesting is all good, though I was hoping to come up with an easy enough method to do railings for stairs. Based on the replies, it seems there is no easy way yet... Really hope the morph tool will relief this pain. Untill then I may need to stick to fudge things in 2D or use objects etc. Don't even mention Cadimage stairs and railing couse I already have grown enough gray hair thanks to the "unleash ArchiCAD" slogen. I am hoping to document without third party stuff. There are good reasons for that.
ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
hkrna:

If you search the forum, you will find Morph examples, there is one here of a railing by grubar posted at Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 am:
MORPH: Tube extrude along a 3d path - profile centre?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
hkrna
Enthusiast
Thanks David, seen the post and actually played a bit with the morphine tool. I think, with a bit of exercise it could be used fine. The trouble is I have to document my bid railing heeavy project in AC 15, so I was looking for a best practice sollution....
ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
hkrna
Enthusiast
Sorry, meant morph, no morphine tool...
That's the beauty of predictive text
ArchiCAD since 4.5

Windows 10
Learn and get certified!