Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Using Different Materials On A Section of Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Friends,

I am just wondering how is it possible to get a different building material finish on one piece of wall. Say I have a grey cement cladding wall, but I wish to show a selected few of the claddings in a different color. I want to show this on elevations and 3D, how could I achieve this.

Help is always appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Archicad wall.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I am sure there is a wall accessory add-on that might help.
Don't ask me for specific names but I recall a tiling add-on that might do it.

Personally I would either just add a thin wall or maybe a beam or column (remember elements will try to automatically trim each other).

Or actually build it with different wall panels - so split the wall next to the window then stack 3 walls on top of each other at the heights you want and change the surface of the one in the middle.

When in doubt use the old motto - Model it as it is built.
They would be separate claddings on the front.
It would be too much trouble to add a separate cladding on the front (although this is what than add-on would do).
So rather than modelling the inside and outside of the wall separately just split and stack the walls where you want different finishes.
You can either override the surface or you could use a completely different composite with the same internal skins but a different external skin - then if you are not overriding the surfaces and you have your Building Materials set up correctly it will all be automated for you.

Barry.
split_wall.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
And also a complex profile will work there, you just have to select the wall and in the complex profile dialog click on capture which will do complex profile from the wall composite and then just modify the exterior skin to the desire result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I am sure there is a wall accessory add-on that might help.
Don't ask me for specific names but I recall a tiling add-on that might do it.

Personally I would either just add a thin wall or maybe a beam or column (remember elements will try to automatically trim each other).

Or actually build it with different wall panels - so split the wall next to the window then stack 3 walls on top of each other at the heights you want and change the surface of the one in the middle.

When in doubt use the old motto - Model it as it is built.
They would be separate claddings on the front.
It would be too much trouble to add a separate cladding on the front (although this is what than add-on would do).
So rather than modelling the inside and outside of the wall separately just split and stack the walls where you want different finishes.
You can either override the surface or you could use a completely different composite with the same internal skins but a different external skin - then if you are not overriding the surfaces and you have your Building Materials set up correctly it will all be automated for you.

Barry.
Hi Barry, thanks for the advice, I think searching for an add-on is a bit troublesome, so what I did was just to create a complex profile wall with the desired material in the middle, then drew another wall next to it, it seems to work fine on plans and elevations and 3D so far.

Cheers!
thanks for always getting back!
Anonymous
Not applicable
arqrivas wrote:
And also a complex profile will work there, you just have to select the wall and in the complex profile dialog click on capture which will do complex profile from the wall composite and then just modify the exterior skin to the desire result.
Hi Argrivas , thanks for getting back! I modeled 2 walls with complex profiles on one, then the other staying the same. seems to work!

Cheers.
Barry Kelly
thinky0099 wrote:
Hi Barry, thanks for the advice, I think searching for an add-on is a bit troublesome, so what I did was just to create a complex profile wall with the desired material in the middle, then drew another wall next to it, it seems to work fine on plans and elevations and 3D so far.

Cheers!
Not a problem.
I always forget about complex profile walls.
This is much better than stacking 3 walls on top of each other.
I am still a bit old school sometimes and this is what we did before complex profiles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
thinky0099 wrote:

Cheers!
Not a problem.
I always forget about complex profile walls.
This is much better than stacking 3 walls on top of each other.
I am still a bit old school sometimes and this is what we did before complex profiles.

Barry.
Hi Barry, that's what I would've tried to do as well if I had not watched a few tutorials on complex profiles and got to know it a bit.

Cheers,
Andy