Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall framing accessory question

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast

I was trying the wall framing accessory again today, but still can't figure out how to control the location in relation to the framing cavity; it always comes in offset. Am I missing some obvious control? Is there something special that one needs to do with the wall composite reference line?

I can drag the framing into position, but it resets out of the wall cavity whenever I modify a door or window (and it recalculates).

If anyone has some clues for this issue, I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

16 REPLIES 16
Barry Kelly

There is no offset that I can see (in the default framing accessory that comes with the goodies add-ons).

Sure you can reposition it in plan, but it will always snap back to the surface of the wall that you linked it to.

Barry.

P.S. Great to have you back on the forum.

Hoping you are fighting fit again now.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I ended up just writing my own so I could add sheetrock sheathing and baseboard as well all at once. I always have issues with the stock one not working.

Still needs some work for take offs

https://bit.ly/BIMRithmWallAccessories

Thanks Barry for confirming that the framing accessory doesn't place the framing in the right location and that it's missing an offset control parameter. I wonder if anyone ever uses it...

Thanks for the friendly greeting as well. I am getting fitter each week, exercising daily (over 150 days in a row since my heart attack in May), and have lost 10 pounds. I intend to keep this routine going, and am looking to see if I can exercise every day for a full year! The Apple watch gives me good feedback, allowing me to see if I've done enough for each day, and rewarding me (with little award icons and positive words) to keep me motivated.

Thanks for sharing this with the community. Would you be interested in being a guest on one of my Archicad USER (https://archicaduser.com) monthly webinars, showing your work and talking shop?

Absolutely! 

If you have moved the generated framing off to the side so you can see it better, and then edit a window or door, perhaps it automatically moves the accessory back to the wall for the sake of regenerating to reflect the changes. ?   When it reverts back to be in the wall, it never quite fits either.  That is perhaps so you can get a hold of it better to move it back to where you want it ??  In any case, I think the tool is a very nice idea, but it has never been more than just a fun toy for me since it can never do exactly what I want, and as far as I know the framing it generates can not be Scheduled.  Can this framing be Scheduled in some way ? 

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I'm almost through the code needed to list studs on mine. 

Just have to add top and bottom plates, blocking, and allocation for stacked windows

I now have just blocking and headers, then my object "should" have everything needed to calculate lumber.

If you redownload you should see the new parameters and be able to open and check my math if needed. 

You probably mean Listing.  I have no use for Lists because they are not Interactive. 

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25