BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

modules and copying

KeesW
Advocate
I am trying to use modules to locate 4 identical apartments on a hilly site. The site is been modeled in Architerra in one file, and the apartments moduled in AC19 on another. The apartments are 2 storeys and I therefore need to use the multiple storey module. But......it isn't working. I am getting a floor and some walls of the main storey but nothing above (eg roof) or below) parking. I am obviously doing something wrong.

Then I had a minor brainwave. Why not copy or merge the building in the apartment file with that of the site plan. I foolishly thought that using a bold marquee and selecting ALL would correctly copy ALL storeys. No such luck. I can move a copy in the same file but cannot get it across to the site plan file with either merging or copying. I do get an error message warning that the copies might be disconnected - and that is an understatement. I'll post the message when I get it but isn't coming up.

I'll now try to convert it into a library object but am fairly sure that it won't work either.

There is more to Archicad than meets the eye and it isn't getting easier is it!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas Holm
Booster
I would say that unless you can match the story heights in the merge file so they fit exactly to all of the module files, you'll have to convert the modules to objects before the merger/import.
(I'd like this to be a "view" aspect, so I could import "live" 3D story-independent "documents" into the merge file, but not yet. Still have to re-convert and re-import for each change of the base modules). Hint, hint, Graphisoft 😉
(Unless I've missed something big)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
A possible solution I've used before is using an inbetween PLN with only one story. I place the modules in this file, link them all to the one story and then publish that as a module. This one story module I would place in the PLN with the site.

You only need to work with the inbetween file once, as nested modules will update as well.

Good luck!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Thomas Holm
Booster
A possible solution I've used before is using an inbetween PLN with only one story. I place the modules in this file, link them all to the one story and then publish that as a module. This one story module I would place in the PLN with the site.
This sounds absolutely fantastic if it works all the way.
One question: Does it preserve all height relations between the original parts?

I realize why I won't ever get the Nobel Prize...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You have to manually adjust the modules in the vertical direction.

I'm not sure if it works with one multi story module (probably not).

You might have issues with solid element operations between elements on different stories.

However, once you have things working, you should be able to publish modules from the main PLN to the sitework PLN to update changes.

Another side note: this is only for 3d model presentation. Your floorplan views are screwed up in the sitework.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!