GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

GDL Syntax Highlight for VSCode

Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
I've just published a VSCode Extension for GDL highlighting (it's free). It is a first release so it is a bit rough. I'll try to update it regularly.

You can download it from VSCode marketplace or install it directly from VSCode->Extensions (search for GDL).
45 REPLIES 45
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Putnam

Just a question (due to the lack of experience in this type of workflow), most who would script in GDL (including myself) would need a window to view the evolution of our scripts for 2D and 3D representation and UI script for the user interface.

Would your method provide us with those graphical windows?

Beside, there are other factors that may come into play, such as global parameters and settings that are only available within the targeted project template, which I believe (please correct me if I was wrong) would remain hidden from the external IDE with the method you're proposing.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Joe Putnam
Booster
Watch the video. The UI updates after changes are made to the python script. Why would you expect it would not be similar for any object or UI component of that object if one reloaded the script? I dont know all of the internals about the GDL interpreter but I am certain they could make it very clean and useful, and certainly much easier than trying to update the current built-in editor. If they could have updated the editor they most certainly would have by now.
Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
The preview window in vscode can be done. I have a half-working proof of concept which i intended to implement.

Ive written a custom addon installed in ac (ac runs in backgroud) which implements a rest service that receives gdl code from vscode, creates a library part, extracts 3d info and returns data for javascript to draw a 3d object in vscode window.

Not that complicated, unfortunatelly uncompleted due to lack of time
Joe Putnam
Booster
vuego wrote:
The preview window in vscode can be done. I have a half-working proof of concept which i intended to implement.

Ive written a custom addon installed in ac (ac runs in backgroud) which implements a rest service that receives gdl code from vscode, creates a library part, extracts 3d info and returns data for javascript to draw a 3d object in vscode window.

Not that complicated, unfortunatelly uncompleted due to lack of time
Exciting news!
It sounds like the best thing that can happen is GS open sources their tool and "we" the community can enhance it!
I am assuming you are using three.js?

It would be great if they made Param-O opensource pushing to that window for updates would be great. What we really dont need are many different windows all open that are essentially doing similar tasks.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Joe Putnam
What video?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Barry Kelly
Moonlight wrote:
@Joe Putnam
What video?

The image in Joe's post is the video link.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Barry Thank you

@Putnam Got it

Well I wouldn't mind working this way, the only inconvenient that I may think of is that of the force of habit for working in ArchiCAD's GDL Editor
I'm getting a permissions error when trying to install:

EACCES: permission denied, open '/Users/james/.vscode/extensions/graphisoft.gdl-1.24.3/package.json'
Failed Installing Extensions: file:///Users/james/Documents/perms/GRAPHISOFT.gdl-1.24.3.vsix

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
We've published the update for the Archicad 25 release with new features:
  • Document symbols (Ctrl-Shift-O)
  • Workspace symbols (Ctrl-T)
  • IntelliSense lists parameters and master script constants (toggle with Ctrl-Shift-Space)
  • Show parameter info in hover
  • Show parameters with bold font
  • Highlighting of built-in property ID strings
  • Highlighting of deprecated global variables
  • Reference guide updates
The extension code is shared on github as open-source, we are looking forward to new ideas.
Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

I think we need to use it in Archicad gdl editor!!

AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!